After many years of watching TV and movies featuring the amusing classes of birth preparation, last night Scott and I actually went to one! We were a little late, but what's new (and we weren't the last!).
The instructor started with the basics: changes in the mothers body, with a diagram of how the baby smooshes all her other organs! and then what actually happens when the mother goes into labor. I have to say I'd read all of this online, seen the TV shows etc, but felt it was a good chance to remind Scott just how uncomfortable I am!!! (I am also convinced I was the only one there with grossly swollen ankles!)
Following a brief "go around the room and introduce yourselves" we got down on the floor! Lights out, spread out your blanket and get your pillows! Kay, our instructor, said we could sit how we wanted and named a few positions. While most other couples were hesitant and sat side by side or cross-legged, I instantly leaned back on Scott, stretched out my legs and took my shoes off!! (I felt that this was appropriate given my vast research of media!)
It wasn't long before the others kind of followed suit. The purpose? To learn relaxation for use during the early stages of labor. "Close your eyes and think of your most relaxing place." I was already relaxed, but then she suggested the dads could rub the mothers back or arms - well, I could've fallen asleep right there, slowly drifting off to pan-pipes!!
So we didn't learn a whole lot we didn't know, but as far as I'm concerned, a class that instructs your husband to give you a back rub on demand is worth far more than $70!!!
Next week: breathing!! He-he, haw-haw!!
No comments:
Post a Comment