Thursday, November 15, 2007

Emma's arrival - pt I

This is part one of a two-part posting!

By now many of you have heard the news, Emma came in to the world at 9.32 am on, November 13!

Following Mondays post not more than a few minutes before being discharged around 7pm my water broke spontaneously, meaning labor was a go! Contractions were coming fast and furious and after the previous 6 hours of contractions I opted for an epidural, and I'm so glad I did.


Progress was slow for 12 hours. I started at 2cm dilated and still pretty long. By 6.45am I was 6cm dilated and 90% effaced. At 7.15am I was 10cm and ready to go! We were all amazed by the quick transition and prepared for labor.

At 9am we went in to the delivery room for a natural delivery.

All went well, in that Emma was born half an hour later. Unfortunately she had decided to flip over at some point in labor and came out face up. This meant her head was hard to get out and she needed to be pulled out by a vacuum. Her heart rate had dropped and failed to come back up so time was of the essence.

More than a little shell-shocked, she required CPR and it took "several minutes" to get her heart rate back up. The reason for the drop in HR is not known.

As for Emma's vital stats, here they are:

Weight: 6lbs 3oz (at one point they thought it might be 9lbs!)

Length: 19”

Eyes: dark blue

Hair: dark brown

Resemblance: Debra as a baby!

No comments: