Tuesday, January 22, 2008

As you might have guessed Emma is back on the canula! Though at my request, she is on the regular canula not the high flow - I just want to see if she is good with that.

Why? Well, if the episodes are down to her reflux, I don't know! But for sure she has less episodes when she is on the canula. It could be that the humidity that the canula provides is in some way easing the reflux, we don't know. For sure though, we won't know the cause until they can eliminate the reflux.

It seems quite drastic to go for a surgical procedure if it's not certain they are causing the episodes, but she definitely has very bad reflux, so it would help with that. But she needs to be bigger!!

Which brings me to the other saga - milk flow! As I said yesterday, there had been some confusion over what was being added to my milk. It may be limited to me and the nurse who taught me who had been fortifying the milk wrong. there is no way to tell. However we are moving forward correctly and Emma will now be getting extra calories for certain.

Something we started this week is Kangaroo Care (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_care). Basically we hold Emma (in just a diaper) against our bare chest for an hour or more. Some research suggests that it can help babies gain weight as well as other emotional and physical benefits for us both.

Yes, both Scott and I can do it. Emma was not sure at first, but today when I sat with her she went straight to sleep! The best part is I feel closer to her, as I might if I was actually nursing her. I wish she had a private room where I could sit with her for hours, but just behind a screen still feels a bit exposed!

As Emma gets older she is more interactive and just more active! I expect most mothers get excited when their babies do something new though. For example Emma has started putting her hand to and in her mouth. Such a small thing, right? But each time it is a reassurance that she is a healthy baby and growing well.

It's great to look forward to watching her grow and change. Thinking about the challenges doesn't change the future and merely takes the joy out of today.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:25-27,34

No comments: