Monday, January 14, 2008

Fresh perspective

So I had all this medical information to give you an update on Emma's progress, but I realize that you may see things differently to me. I am surrounded by medical bodies all day, so I have become de-sensitized to the language and how serious things may seem. After all, I have never had a normal post-natal experience to compare this too. And I see babies with more serious health concerns.

There's no doubt that Emma has been going through more than most babies do, and more than we thought. It has been tough on us all, family and friends too, I won't deny that.

However, what you don't see and (my bad!) I don't talk much about, is that the majority of the time Emma is a normal baby! She wants attention, and preferably to be moving! She hates dirty diapers and loves laying on Daddy. We sit together and just look into each others eyes trying to know what's going on behind them!

Emma shows no signs of knowing that she has had serious abdominal surgery and doesn't even seem bothered by the tongue adhesion! Her episodes are probably more of an irritant than anything, like the cough at the end of a cold! When she drops her heart rate it is only a tiny amount and no-one would know except for the beeping machine. I think she is only bothered by it because sometimes someone comes and stick the sucker into her mouth to get the secretions!

Emma knows not what she is missing at home (!), and while that is hard for us all, it can be helpful to remember that life is normal for her.

As for Scott and I, we transitioned into this routine without a by or leave. We don't think much about life before Emma, and just last night when we were home without anything to do! We can't wait to have her home with us, regardless of the amount of work it will mean. And until then we will make the most of our second home and medical family!!

I will just mention that it does not look like she will me moving wards anytime soon after all! Her facial surgeon wants her to stay where she can be watched and suctioned as she has been! (Uh, woohoo!!)

No comments: