Friday, February 22, 2008

A new perspective

As I lay in bed trying to get back to sleep I had what you might describe as an epiphany, or as I believe, God speaking to my heart. I am going to share it with you, you can choose how you respond to it!

I'm not sure where the thoughts began, but this is where they went!

Emma was born with an illness. She didn't develop it after birth, she came out with gastroschisis and Moebius syndrome. She was unaware of her condition as she has not known anything different. Due to her illness she has spent her entire life in the NICU, a small world with boundaries and restrictions (which are there for her healing and protection of course.)

Over the past few months, on her behalf we have been searching for ways to free her from the conditions that are keeping her in the NICU. We are so thankful for the doctors and nurses that have helped us. And today it looks like we have done enough to bring her home soon.

However as free as we will be when she comes home, we are still bound by the feeding schedule and process, by monitoring her sleep apnea, and also by her fragility. Not completely free.

Now, say Emma could be born again (stay with me people!!), she could be born free of the conditions that she has now. She could start again, without the hurdles she is currently faced with and would be free to live as so many others do.

(I'm sure some of you know where I'm going now!)

The Word of God tells us that we are all born with a condition called sin. It's hereditary, thanks to Adam and Eve. Most of us are unaware that we have it as the rest of the world is the same! However there are people who know the truth about this condition and they are trying to save us through prayer, preaching and love. (I have to thank my grandparents here!!)

The prognosis for sin is eternal death, or hell (sorry, no prettier way to say it!). Now sometimes we do get bouts of "freedom" where we escape certain areas of our lives that we know are wrong, but never truly become free. How often does someone with an addiction that is cured relapse because of one small drink, or cigarette?

The ONLY medicine is to be born again. Since sin is a terminal, spiritual sickness, the rebirth needs to be spiritual. The Bible is very clear that Jesus lived free from sin and died in your place, so that if you believe in him you will be reborn and not have to go through the death that results from sin.

If you choose to believe in Jesus's healing power your life will change because he will work in your heart and begin to free you now. It's not just about getting to heaven, eternal life starts here where we can get strength to live in freedom from the things that hold us back.

Unfortunately perfection does not come with being born again! Healing from sin is a process that will not be finished until we get to heaven. So in the meantime there is grace and forgiveness for each relapse that we repent of.

So, my point: Emma's life so far, to me represents the struggle we all go through in life to be spiritually healthy. Simple right?

I know many of you do not share my beliefs, and for that reason it took a lot of courage for me to post this. I believe this to be truth and that it is my responsibility to share it with you. Since I don't know how long you will be with us reading the blog I took the opportunity. (I'll keep posting!!)

I'm not crazy, and if you know me you will know I did not come to believe this without question. I have experienced the freedom in Christ, freedom from the expectations of others and a love for those people that allows me to stick my neck out here!

So, that's all I wanted to say. Take it or leave it, that's up to you. You could even shoot up a quick prayer to God and ask him to confirm whether or not it's true!

And just for Aunt Kimberly, here are some pictures!!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely adorable AND a gift from God. I had another dream about Emma last night, which I will fill you in on when I see you! I may not walk on the straight and narrow as often as I should, but I do agree with your posting and understand completely what you are feeling. Emma was sent to you, well to US, for a reason and I am so glad for the opportunity to discover all she has to offer!
Love,
Nichole

Anonymous said...

We are so excited, it's been such a tough journey for you all.
You know we all believe different things, it's what makes the world go round. However, you have been so strong, and just from this blog I can see you have grown so much, your faith is admirable, your strenghth enviable (and I don't mean that negatively!). All three of you are an inspiration to everyone.
Look forward to seeing you all together.
With all my love
Lou xxx

Christina Schoenrock said...

Amen Sister! Right on! Love you guys!

Christina