Emma finally went in at 1pm. Everything seems to be fairly straight forward, but as I sat with her in a rocking chair [for the first time!], rocking back and forth, I felt a strange sense of melancholy. I wasn't thinking anything in particular, and I know it won't be the last time we'll be there - in the least, the tongue and lip will need to be separated in a few months.
When the nurse came in to get Emma I definitely found myself choked up. I was still holding her, she was crying after having slept for most of the wait. I was reluctant to put her down, but I did. I kissed her, several times, and whispered in her ear "Jesus is with you" more than once. It is comforting to know she is not alone.
During the 3 hour procedure I hung out in the NICU and played some Uno with Emma's nurse (I said she was great didn't I!).
___________________
Emma came out of surgery at 4.15pm, sooner than we thought - but her surgeon said he'd done it quicker! (He's very quiet and humble so it was more a statement that it wasn't as quick as I thought!)
They did the entire procedure laproscopicly (I can't say it so I doubt I can spell it!). So instead of a big cut she has 5 small holes which will heal nicely. Her g-tube is a "mickey button" which is like a cap on an inflatable toy.
They were able to extubate her after the surgery, so she is not on the ventilator. Nor is she sedated, so she is in some pain and is getting meds as needed. She's back on the canula because the pain will affect her breathing for a while.
This has by far been the hardest surgery for me. Emma and I have been together for much longer now and she is so much more a part of my life. She is also more active and interactive, so to watch her in recovery now is very hard. I guess I feel more like her mother now also.
I'm not sure how long we'll stay at the hospital tonight, but right now I'm not sure I can leave!
We'll keep you posted.
1 comment:
please keep my updated...I'll be checking the blog non-stop all weekend :)
Just remember that she's in great hands, both medically and spiritually!
Post a Comment