Emma was up early this morning, well 6.30am. Since she didn't go to bed until 9pm last night I knew she had to get more sleep, so I sacrificed my time (!) and laid down with her in my bed! Eventually she stopped fighting and fell asleep! We woke up at 9am.
Great, right? Sure, except that I wanted to feed her at 8am because I wanted to feed her lunch at 12pm! As it turned out I did that anyway, because I was meeting a friend for lunch at 1pm.
As we pulled into the parking lot 3 minutes early I was thrilled, it's quite rare these days! I decided Emma could go in the big stroller and stay in there during lunch, rather than a high chair (naptime was coming and she could lay back in the stroller.) However, it was not to be!
I always leave her feeding tube attached for a journey, in case she gets wind and I have to vent her. When I took her out of the car seat the tube came away, and you guessed it, so did the g-tube! I had refilled the balloon with water that morning because it was looking loose. Turned out the balloon had burst!
Frantically I called Scott, as a sleeping Emma squirmed in the seat, open hole in her belly! He calmly instructed me to put it back in and tape it in place (as we learned in the hospital, and I breathlessly asked if I should do!). He called my friend to let them know we'd be back in a half hour, and I drove home.
(Note: speed limits do not apply when there is a "medical emergency" as I prepared to tell any policeman who stopped me!!)
Now, I replaced the g-tube without incident and we made it for lunch at 1.30pm, but not for the first time did I wonder when it will get easier to take Emma out!!
At lunch Emma was waving to the diners nearby, as she does always. I held back my urge to tell them that she would be smiling at them if she could. I know, I have issues, but at the hospital yesterday the phlebotomist (draws the blood) was like "what's wrong?" because she wasn't smiling. Thankfully she attributed it to Emma knowing what was coming!!
Great, right? Sure, except that I wanted to feed her at 8am because I wanted to feed her lunch at 12pm! As it turned out I did that anyway, because I was meeting a friend for lunch at 1pm.
As we pulled into the parking lot 3 minutes early I was thrilled, it's quite rare these days! I decided Emma could go in the big stroller and stay in there during lunch, rather than a high chair (naptime was coming and she could lay back in the stroller.) However, it was not to be!
I always leave her feeding tube attached for a journey, in case she gets wind and I have to vent her. When I took her out of the car seat the tube came away, and you guessed it, so did the g-tube! I had refilled the balloon with water that morning because it was looking loose. Turned out the balloon had burst!
Frantically I called Scott, as a sleeping Emma squirmed in the seat, open hole in her belly! He calmly instructed me to put it back in and tape it in place (as we learned in the hospital, and I breathlessly asked if I should do!). He called my friend to let them know we'd be back in a half hour, and I drove home.
(Note: speed limits do not apply when there is a "medical emergency" as I prepared to tell any policeman who stopped me!!)
Now, I replaced the g-tube without incident and we made it for lunch at 1.30pm, but not for the first time did I wonder when it will get easier to take Emma out!!
At lunch Emma was waving to the diners nearby, as she does always. I held back my urge to tell them that she would be smiling at them if she could. I know, I have issues, but at the hospital yesterday the phlebotomist (draws the blood) was like "what's wrong?" because she wasn't smiling. Thankfully she attributed it to Emma knowing what was coming!!
1 comment:
*sigh* my oh my! what a mess?! You did great though :) Good job!
Post a Comment