This week was different than a lot of others, in that Emma and I went out most days. when she is healthy it's great, she doesn't worry me that she may choke, and the lower feeds mean she needs less venting, so I don't have to wait as long after feeding her.
I am a little nervous that are routine may be disturbed after Emma's surgery though. Emma's tongue used to block her airway when she slept, or just lay down (one of a few factors in her apnea). The doctors adhered the tongue to her bottom lip as a way to prevent it, hoping that as she grew the tongue would not be a problem. When they detach the tongue on September 29 we will all be waiting to see if it worked.
I don't know how much of your ability to keep your tongue forward at night is a reflex controlled by nerves. We don't know how many nerves Emma may actually be missing, which may be a factor in this.
With the winter ahead of us, cold and flu season approaches!! If you recall, when Emma was discharged from hospital we were told to keep her out of childcare, and generally away from people! A cold is very difficult for her because she doesn't automatically swallow like we do, and the secretions build up. She'll get the flu and RSV shots of course. I have been getting more relaxed about other holding her etc. but I will be more protective during this time (like it or not!) and the hand sanitizer will be out!!
I am a little nervous that are routine may be disturbed after Emma's surgery though. Emma's tongue used to block her airway when she slept, or just lay down (one of a few factors in her apnea). The doctors adhered the tongue to her bottom lip as a way to prevent it, hoping that as she grew the tongue would not be a problem. When they detach the tongue on September 29 we will all be waiting to see if it worked.
I don't know how much of your ability to keep your tongue forward at night is a reflex controlled by nerves. We don't know how many nerves Emma may actually be missing, which may be a factor in this.
With the winter ahead of us, cold and flu season approaches!! If you recall, when Emma was discharged from hospital we were told to keep her out of childcare, and generally away from people! A cold is very difficult for her because she doesn't automatically swallow like we do, and the secretions build up. She'll get the flu and RSV shots of course. I have been getting more relaxed about other holding her etc. but I will be more protective during this time (like it or not!) and the hand sanitizer will be out!!
2 comments:
You will be fabulous! You can handle it and God won't give you more than you can handle :)
*hugs*
We will help you protect Emma. We will carefully follow what you say to do because we love her more than we want to fulfill our own desire to touch her hands or kiss her. Mummy knows best!
Judy
Post a Comment