I don't know if I mentioned this, but Emma's speech therapist, Brooke, was really pleased with her on Thursday. Brook is not only here to work on verbal communication, but all aspects of oral motor skills, which includes feeding.
We gave Emma some small spoons of apple sauce, which she seems to like alot and Brooke said she was doing great considering she is now able to move the tongue like never before! She still ended up pushing it out of her mouth, but it will take some time to get the whole process down.
My part in this is that I need to feed her 4 spoons dipped in food as often as I can. The more often, the faster she should learn. I also have massage and sensory exercises to do with her, like putting different textures on her face.
However, for some reason I can not seem to find the time. Emma is fed by g-tube every 4 hours. I can't feed her orally for a half to an hour after as I don't want her to gag and throw up, leaving 3 hours. In that time I have to pump, eat and either run errands or put Emma down for a nap. I also have the brushing to do and of course, play time to encourage those motor skills. When all that is done, it's time to feed her again!
We gave Emma some small spoons of apple sauce, which she seems to like alot and Brooke said she was doing great considering she is now able to move the tongue like never before! She still ended up pushing it out of her mouth, but it will take some time to get the whole process down.
My part in this is that I need to feed her 4 spoons dipped in food as often as I can. The more often, the faster she should learn. I also have massage and sensory exercises to do with her, like putting different textures on her face.
However, for some reason I can not seem to find the time. Emma is fed by g-tube every 4 hours. I can't feed her orally for a half to an hour after as I don't want her to gag and throw up, leaving 3 hours. In that time I have to pump, eat and either run errands or put Emma down for a nap. I also have the brushing to do and of course, play time to encourage those motor skills. When all that is done, it's time to feed her again!
I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say I am organized and motivated, yet completing these things on a regular basis continues to allude me. I would appreciate your prayers in this matter. I don't want to choose between crawling and eating, but I know that eating is a newcomer that will have to fight for it's rightful place!
1 comment:
Don't worry babe, you just get it in when you get it in. If you don't get the motor skills in everyday that is ok. She will still learn it! God is doing awesome stuff for Emma, she is doing great! Praise God. Just get it in when you can and you don't have to feel like your a bad mom if EVERYTHING doesn't get done ALL the time.
Post a Comment