Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Medical Update

It's been a while since I had any real progress to give you on Emma's health, and though I am sure you all love reading about the minutiae of our lives, it won't hurt to let you know about the science-y stuff!!

Before I do, I'm adding a helpful glossary of terms, so you won't get lost in all the medical speak!!

GERD (Really really bad reflux disease!)
Abdominal surgery sites (Gastroschisis closure and G-tube)
Tracheal Malaysia (floppy windpipe)
Pharynx (space at the back of the throat behind the tongue)
Pulmonary (airway)

Today we had a 2 month follow-up with Emma's GERD doc. He also monitors her feeding, growth and abdominal surgery sites. It turns out she is only 17lbs 1 oz, which means her growth (i.e. weight gain) has slowed too much. They need to increase her calories, but I protested at increasing the volume during the day (don't want to go back to the vomiting!!) so we are adding more to the overnight feed. Sweet!

However, despite the weight issue, they were thrilled at how great she is doing and can see that with her increased activity she is bound to need more calories. She wouldn't stop climbing and turning in the room! They couldn't believe how well she is standing.

I asked about a noise Emma has been making lately, likely sharp intake of breath, only noisy. Also some dry coughing. I assumed this was due to reflux as she made the same noises in the NICU, and told him so! He corrected me and it is actually an airway issue. Likely brought about by the tongue occupying more of the pharynx since the surgery! Also linked to the tracheal malaysia. I will be onto her pulmonary doc about it!!

Emma's dietitian asked me how long I plan on breastfeeding for (6 months being the usual and 1 year often the maximum!). I explained that I have no desire to diet (if I wasn't b/f I would be well over 200lbs!!) so I will keep doing it as long as I can!! Apparently 2 years is a great goal! I don't know about that, but I have no reason to stop, especially as it has been linked to ear infection prevention amongst other benefits. I won't lie, it's a pain, but it's just part of our routine now and I can pretty much set the schedule.

We also visited with the team who took care of my pregnancy, in the new Special Delivery Unit. If Emma was born this year, we'd be actually in Children's hospital! Just from the reception I can tell it's very nice. I pray I never have to use it!!

Her mouth has healed up nicely, and we have a follow-up appointment in a few weeks. Her tongue makes an appearance every now and then, as she figures out how it works!! she's still drooling alot, but also teething I'm sure. The speech therapist is coming tomorrow and we are going to see how she handles some food.

The body brushing is going well. We are still brushing her face, and a couple of weeks ago started brushing across the palms of her hands. This new one is to help with the grasping reflex and I have already noted that Emma is now able to put things down intentionally, whereas before she would only drop it if she wanted something else or if you picked her up.

Emma is keen to try it herself - here she is undoubtedly copying what we do to her hands. Genius, I'm telling you!!!




No comments: