Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Working

After some words of "encouragement" from my mum I am trying to give Emma oral feeds before she gets her tube feeds at breakfast, lunch and dinner. So far it's worked out fine and it really only takes a few minutes.

I think sometimes, with anything, it's the number of tasks that can overwhelm us, more than the complexity of each one. It's similar to how I choose a line in the supermarket! One person with a large quantity will go through quicker than a few people with small amounts. Why? Because it's starting and finishing things that add time, when you have a big task all the same you can get in a rhythm.

Emma's doctors have put her feeds back down, not because she wasn't tolerating them, but because she is now waking up super early and there just aren't enough hours to get in the overnight. Because her stomach empties so slow we can't just increase the other feeds - she throws up. Therefore they are sending me this powder which adds carbs to the milk. I'm hopeful she does not have the same gaseous reaction to carbs as her daddy!!

That's right, I've been getting up at 4.30 each morning and barely convincing her to stay put until 5.30am when I can achieve some level of consciousness!! I don't know why she's chosen that time, regardless of her bedtime, but I may have to put her to bed later so she sleeps in more.

Oh well, enough lamenting! We are having lots of fun together and she is fun to watch amusing herself!!

No comments: