Sunday, March 8, 2009

New Car Smell

If you've been with us for a while you'll be familiar with the saga that our cars have created! Neither being very reliable, and only one being suitable for a baby seat, we knew it was only a matter of time before we'd need to replace one. This week the Explorer started to, well, not start or just die! That's not permissible when you have to drive through a rough part of the city regularly!!

Unlike buying a house where you [used to] know that it will likely appreciate in value over time, a car is an investment you are almost certain to lose money on immediately, but can get much value from. Appropriately we have spent months considering the options - models, makes, year etc.

This week we went to look at my favorite, a 2008 KIA Sedona (used, but only 6 months old! That's basically new and smells like it!). After prayer and careful consideration we decided to get the vehicle and picked it up on Saturday. I'm so glad we did!

The Sedona is a 7-seater minivan. Probably the most common family car in the US, not just because of family size, but because we use our cars for everything! (In the UK people fly to distant destinations, and cars are often small, like a Focus. It's very different than here, where a car like that would be crushed by one of the giant SUV's that hog the road!)

There are too many awesome features to list them all, but here are my favorites:
Back seats that fold into the floor, with ease!
Electric back windows that roll down!
Space between seats that allows us to get to Emma quickly when we're on the road (instead of climbing over seats!)
A lower floor and wider access with the sliding back doors makes getting the baby in and out SO easy!

Having the Explorer was great, but the Sedona has already made transporting Emma much much easier, and more inviting!

Scott loves the Sedona, not least because it accelerates quickly and smoothly. Not a feature of either of the other cars for a few years! It wasn't until I'd been driving by myself in it that I realized how great the brakes are too. I can stop smoothly and quickly without fear of skidding - I hadn't even realized I'd felt like that until I didn't! And that is the best feature of all, braking and acceleration that will keep us as safe as our driving will allow - and no more running red lights!

One of Scott's friends also donated a DVD player for us to use on long journeys! (Uh, lucky are we?!) Emma is a good traveller but we can only push it so far. I guess Baby Signing Time will be coming with us on vacation!

It has not escaped our notice how truly blessed we are to be able to even consider getting a new vehicle in today's climate. Waiting until the cars broke down really wouldn't have been smart, your forced to make a quick purchase!!And no-one knows what the future holds, so we are stepping out in faith that this was the right decision, and feel at peace with that.

Live safe or be brave!! (Our motto for the year!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debra - I can completely relate! We just bought a Nissan Quest...LOVE IT!! I never thought I'd be the mini-van Mom, but Im telling you - the room in this vehicle is unbelievable. My sister has a little boy who is 2 months older than Brody & we do a lot together. Actually, my Mom and Dad do a lot w/us too. So we're always taking at least two vehicles when we go away. Now - we can all take MY vehicle!!! Seven passenger seating - I can't say enough good things about it!

Congratulations on your new van! I know you'll love it as much as I love mine :)

Jen