Monday, June 15, 2009

Sign of the Times

I've entered a new phase of my pregnancy. It's the one where people are in no doubt I am pregnant and not just fatter! Previously people have asked in a way so as not to be insulting if I was not actually pregnant! It's actually more of a relief because while I feel like a walking blob I clearly have no just 'let myself go!'

It was never more apparent than Sunday while I was giving announcements to the congregation in church. Stood in front of everyone, with a microphone as I do every Sunday, but this was different. As I opened with a welcome to new guests I suddenly got really emotional and choked up. I think I avoided all out crying, just! I'll keep it to a few words next time!

It may/not surprise you to know that there are still people out there who don't hold the door open for pregnant women, even if they are also carrying a toddler!!

Physically I am noticing more aches and pains, especially when I'm trying to sleep or after something mundane like vacuuming. I do still have spritely moments where I'll run up the stairs (actually, it's more like a slow jog, but faster than a walk!!) or generally do something I wouldn't think twice about 6 months ago.

Last week I was reading up on the latter stages of a normal pregnancy - the parts I know nothing about, like frequency of doctors visits etc. It hit me that I enter the third trimester in a couple of weeks, and have just 14 weeks to my due date. Based on how fast the past 6 weeks have gone it will be here fast.

As the summer starts up I feel like I'm doing pretty good. I have gained a total of 30lbs - yes, that's more than I should gain for the whole time, however I will be doing my best to keep any additional gain to a minimum. And while it sounds like a lot I am still able to where pre-preggo t-shirts of mine!

Cankles featured pretty heavily in the last pregnancy so they haunt my nightmares! The squooshy tight feeling around my ankles was not a feeling I have forgotten, nor wish to repeat! Keeping hydrated will be the only way to fight it.

Emma has 4 hospital appointments in August and we will be doing lots of coaching on our goals of walking (close), talking (emerging) and eating (day by day!!). I can see our schedule eating up the time well!

In the meantime we are preparing to move her into her new bigger bedroom. There will be room for some of her toys and more space for the nurse and equipment - important as she gets bigger herself. We're doing it now so that she adjusts well and does not connect the change with the new baby. I hope it goes better than when I tried to switch her crib round!! (I'll be keeping exactly the same layout in the new room.)

We are enjoying Emma's progress so much. "You are so cute" are words we utter throughout every day, whether she is buckling her own car seat or laying in bed with us chating to herself while we try and sleep! I am proud to say that Emma even knows how to put her toys and books away when she is done!! That's my girl!


No comments: