I have to say that I have been very good about not buying stuff for the new baby. There are probably a few reasons, self-control probably the least of them!!
For one, we have tons of baby stuff that we got for Emma, and it was intentionally gender neutral so we wouldn't have to buy duplicates for a boy! Of the few things we will need, I'm simply going to wait until we need them.
As for clothing, we just don't know how big baby #2 will be, as Emma was small and the odds are stacked against another small baby! Plus you can never be 100% sure of gender, unless you have an amniocentesis like we did with Emma.
The baby's room is not ready yet. We cleaned the area rug, but the walls need to be primed and painted before we get any new furniture. We are intending to use Emma's crib also, once she transitions out of it and if that isn't soon, we have a bassinet for the first couple months.
All that said, today I bought some sleep suits (in the UK we call them baby-grows) and some nightgowns. I guess I must be pretty sure deep down it is a boy as they are boy colors and it didn't occur to me before I threw the packaging away! I was focusing on size - I bought 0-3 months, which is supposed to be 8-12lbs. I don't see him being any smaller than that! That will probably be it until he arrives and we know what size to get.
I also started reading up on breastfeeding. Despite pumping for 16 months the real nursing sounds pretty complicated and I'm nervous about it!! I also know that b/f with an older child around makes it a lot tougher to stick with it, so I'm really going to need support and determination. I have already thought that if b/f is not practical I would try pumping again as it is likely quicker and I can do it on my schedule.
I'm sure the nerves will come and go in the next few weeks, as will the excitement, fears, plans and questions. Fun, fun, fun!!
For one, we have tons of baby stuff that we got for Emma, and it was intentionally gender neutral so we wouldn't have to buy duplicates for a boy! Of the few things we will need, I'm simply going to wait until we need them.
As for clothing, we just don't know how big baby #2 will be, as Emma was small and the odds are stacked against another small baby! Plus you can never be 100% sure of gender, unless you have an amniocentesis like we did with Emma.
The baby's room is not ready yet. We cleaned the area rug, but the walls need to be primed and painted before we get any new furniture. We are intending to use Emma's crib also, once she transitions out of it and if that isn't soon, we have a bassinet for the first couple months.
All that said, today I bought some sleep suits (in the UK we call them baby-grows) and some nightgowns. I guess I must be pretty sure deep down it is a boy as they are boy colors and it didn't occur to me before I threw the packaging away! I was focusing on size - I bought 0-3 months, which is supposed to be 8-12lbs. I don't see him being any smaller than that! That will probably be it until he arrives and we know what size to get.
I also started reading up on breastfeeding. Despite pumping for 16 months the real nursing sounds pretty complicated and I'm nervous about it!! I also know that b/f with an older child around makes it a lot tougher to stick with it, so I'm really going to need support and determination. I have already thought that if b/f is not practical I would try pumping again as it is likely quicker and I can do it on my schedule.
I'm sure the nerves will come and go in the next few weeks, as will the excitement, fears, plans and questions. Fun, fun, fun!!
No comments:
Post a Comment