Sunday, September 6, 2009

I gave in and called the doctor!! As tomorrow is a holiday I knew I'd have to wait until Tuesday before I could make an appointment, so I used the magic beeper number!!

A nurse called me back to get the scoop on Emma's problem. I very much dislike describing medical situations on the phone, especially to people who aren't very familiar with her conditions. So I started at the beginning:
the fever, which led to
the high heart rate, which led to
sleep apnea and the pulse ox, and then
the tube feeding, which led to
the fundoplication surgery

I never even mentioned the Moebius Syndrome, which is only relevant because it underlays the other things, but also they make a lot of facial expressions to gauge the level of pain!

I don't know if the nurse kept up with me, but she told me she'd call the doctor and get back to me!

In a few minutes the doctor himself called me! there are about 8 doctors at the pediatricians office we use and this was one we've never met, of course. I couldn't tell if he was familiar with her records, but he seemed to understand when I did mention the Moebius Syndrome.

I went through the other stuff again, and he suggested a possible cause that I had picked up online yesterday. In girls, fevers with no other symptoms are often Urinary Tract Infections. Since Emma gets very distressed when we press on her belly and seems to be most agitated after a feed (when she usually pees) I think it's a good bet. I also know how painful they can be!!

So, what now? We are trying to manage her temperature and keep her comfortable. Thankfully Dorothy is the nurse on tonight, and for some reason I can rest a little easier with her. Maybe because she will come get me if there is a problem, rather than just trying to quiet Emma down.

Tomorrow will be tough. Scott's going to be doing some work for someone and Emma could be just as grumpy. I love the cuddle part, but I am very uncomfortable sitting upright, and well, you can imagine! And with the TV still out (did I mention we don't have all the channels we usually use without it!!), well, I'm going to need a ton of patience!!

The doctor also said that if she becomes more lethargic (she slept a lot today) or doesn't have periods of happiness then we might want to take her to the emergency room. Otherwise we'll go to the doctors on Tuesday.

No comments: