It's been a strange day. Both Scott and I got very little sleep, but it was for a good reason!
When Toby was born this morning they took him across the room to suction his mouth since there had been meconium in the amniotic fluid (he pooped in uetero!) Then they cleaned him up and because of his size did a check on his blood glucose (which was fine both times!!). In the meantime I was getting cleaned and stitched up, wondering when they would let me hold him!
It felt like forever, but eventually I got to hold him, and see his face close up. He looks just like he did on the ultrasound last week, which is weird!
It seems we've told enough staff Emma's story that they are being very helpful for a second baby, and very encouraging, especially with nursing. I was concerned the support would be lacking since I'm used to a team of experts, but it has been great.
When the room calmed down and most of the nurses left (there were about 7 of them at one point!) I tried to nurse Toby. Remembering the book I read a couple months ago, and taking guidance from the nurses he seemed to latch on. Since then he seems to be getting better each time. I guess only time will tell.
Despite his"huge" size he still fits into newborn size clothes, but I'm sure that won't last long!!
This afternoon Scott is going home to get Emma so she is the first person to meet her baby brother. We'll probably be stuck here until Thursday, so I expect family and some friends will visit, but the room is the size of a broom closet, so we think it would be better to visit us back at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment