Sunday, October 4, 2009

Labor begins...

My contractions started on Friday evening, but they were irregular and not particularly strong. I gave up trying to time them and fell asleep by the time Scott got home (he worked until 2.30am!!)

At 6.30am I informed him that I'd had 3 contractions all 8 minutes apart. After some more time I called Moon, my midwife, to see what I should do. She said to carry on as usual and even go with Scott's suggestion of eating out for breakfast!

We went to The Coffee Station and the waitresses were all asking when I was due. We decided not to alarm them by explaining I was already in labor!! We weren't there long and then went to Home Depot for light bulbs. Walking is supposed to help early labor!

When we came home it was still only 10am, and I got to work on the laundry and cleaning the house. Eventually we all took a nap, by which point my contractions had become irregular again, so I figured perhaps it was a false alarm.

When I got up after nap the contractions started up again and I timed them between 5-6pm and they were coming every 5 minutes. I called Moon up, as the instructions say to, and we agreed to meet at the hospital.

In Labor and Delivery they strapped me to the monitors and indeed my contractions were coming evry 4-5 minutes. However, they weren't very strong and I was no more dilated than I was on Tuesday - the baby does not want to come down and I guess the contractions weren't enough to push him down.

The consensus was for us to leave and come back when the contractions were stronger. Scott and I weren't sure what to do! Scott's parents were already prepared to stay overnigh with Emma, we were free!

On a whim we went and got milkshakes and drove down to the city. This might seem odd, but we spent most of our courtship in the car when Scott would drive me home after church or evenings with friends. We used to talk a lot and we missed those times when I eventually moved out to the burbs.

We reminisced about the early days of our friendship and then dating! Every time we do that I'm always surprised by how long Scott took to admit he liked me!! We drove the same way we had on many occasions, past my old apartment building and the whole time I was having pretty decent contractions.

We went home to wait until they contractions increased in strength, and they did, for 3/4 contractions and then they stopped. Completely.

I'll keep you posted!

What is going on???!!! I suspect the same thing that I apparently did to my mum!!

No comments: