The course of true love never runs smooth? The same can be said of parenthood!!
Even though Toby has none of the major health concerns that Emma faced I am not naive enough to think he would not come with his own issues - what kid doesn't!! My instinct was confirmed quicker than I anticipated!!
I have been nursing Toby since birth and it's been going really well. The only problem has been the pain. While I have never breastfed a baby before, I have been told that pumping is far more painful, which surprises me given how much nursing has been hurting. In fact, assuming that it is just the initial phase of nursing did not satisfy me - I have been told by specialist that it really shouldn't hurt to nurse (the pain is more a constant discomfort until your body gets used to the little eater.)
I can't tell you how I knew to do this (other than remembering seeing a TV show some years back), but I took a look inside Toby's mouth. Sure enough my suspicions were correct. Toby showed signs of "ankyloglossia." That is a scary-looking word for tongue-tied.
The piece of skin under his tongue (frenulum) is attached almost all the way to the front of his tongue. That makes it darn-near impossible for him to stick his tongue out, let alone freely move it during the feeding process.
In turn, it means that when he nurses he is effectively just biting me, over and over!!
You are likely thinking I'm paranoid, which I think is what Scott thought too. So I contacted my friends at the hospital (remember, the breast-feeding team!) and asked for their opinion. One happened to be working today so we headed down there for her opinion. She confirmed tha he is really tongue-tied.
The good news is that it is a quick, easy fix - a quick snip which is likely less painful than the circumcision and heals quicker!! If the pediatrician won't do it on Monday then we hope to get him in to the hospital pretty quick to get it done. Should be a brief outpatient visit.
In the meantime I pulled out my old buddy, the breast pump, to get some fast-food for Toby. I actually had it out anyway as I was getting engorged. It took me about 5 minutes to get about two meals worth.
It's possible Toby has not had enough to eat all week because he was unable to suck efficiently. Sure enough, he chugged down the first bottle super fast and looked very happy after.
Even though Toby has none of the major health concerns that Emma faced I am not naive enough to think he would not come with his own issues - what kid doesn't!! My instinct was confirmed quicker than I anticipated!!
I have been nursing Toby since birth and it's been going really well. The only problem has been the pain. While I have never breastfed a baby before, I have been told that pumping is far more painful, which surprises me given how much nursing has been hurting. In fact, assuming that it is just the initial phase of nursing did not satisfy me - I have been told by specialist that it really shouldn't hurt to nurse (the pain is more a constant discomfort until your body gets used to the little eater.)
I can't tell you how I knew to do this (other than remembering seeing a TV show some years back), but I took a look inside Toby's mouth. Sure enough my suspicions were correct. Toby showed signs of "ankyloglossia." That is a scary-looking word for tongue-tied.
The piece of skin under his tongue (frenulum) is attached almost all the way to the front of his tongue. That makes it darn-near impossible for him to stick his tongue out, let alone freely move it during the feeding process.
In turn, it means that when he nurses he is effectively just biting me, over and over!!
You are likely thinking I'm paranoid, which I think is what Scott thought too. So I contacted my friends at the hospital (remember, the breast-feeding team!) and asked for their opinion. One happened to be working today so we headed down there for her opinion. She confirmed tha he is really tongue-tied.
The good news is that it is a quick, easy fix - a quick snip which is likely less painful than the circumcision and heals quicker!! If the pediatrician won't do it on Monday then we hope to get him in to the hospital pretty quick to get it done. Should be a brief outpatient visit.
In the meantime I pulled out my old buddy, the breast pump, to get some fast-food for Toby. I actually had it out anyway as I was getting engorged. It took me about 5 minutes to get about two meals worth.
It's possible Toby has not had enough to eat all week because he was unable to suck efficiently. Sure enough, he chugged down the first bottle super fast and looked very happy after.
2 comments:
The way Toby was sleeping contentedly yesterday for the whole time we were there makes me think he was getting plenty to eat. He would have been complaining quite a bit if he was hungry, I would think.
As for the pain, the first few weeks honestly consisted of me hurting so badly I was bleeding and wanting to cry all the time. It's not supposed to hurt? I don't buy it! :-)
Glad you have lots of support to check in with. Don't get too disheartened...it hasn't been long yet!
I had the same experience with nursing. Especially with my son. It did hurt - a lot! Thankfully it didn't last long. Both you and Toby will get used to it soon. My daughter was also tongue tied. You're right. A quick little snip solved the problem!
Post a Comment