So I hear that there was someone on American Idol last night that had some facial paralysis. To be exact, her 7th cranial nerve was under-developed and the right side of her face has some paralysis.
Curious, I searched the web and found the audition...
It is good to see someone with such confidence and poise despite this kind of disability. How cool would it be to one day see someone with Moebius Syndrome on there!!
It reminded me of the little girl we saw at the Moebius Conference in 2008:
As a reminder, Moebius Syndrome is characterized by missing or damaged 6th & 7th cranial facial nerves (has to be both) impacting both sides of the face, and restricting eye movement. I checked and this girls blinks as well as having lateral eye movement.
Kind of on the same train of thought, I asked Emma's speech therapist today how she thinks she will do. Some of Emma's speech sounds like she has a cleft palate, other words are clear as day. Brooke said that just as she has with her existing vocabulary, she will likely learn to compensate and words will become clearer with practice. As she gets older she should also have more control.
That said, kids here often start pre-school between 3-5 and then kindergarten at 5 or 6. Emma would love school and she has such a long attention span for her age I think she'd do great. I would definitely consider putting her in pre-school at 3 years but we'll have to see - it ain't cheap!!
Curious, I searched the web and found the audition...
It is good to see someone with such confidence and poise despite this kind of disability. How cool would it be to one day see someone with Moebius Syndrome on there!!
It reminded me of the little girl we saw at the Moebius Conference in 2008:
As a reminder, Moebius Syndrome is characterized by missing or damaged 6th & 7th cranial facial nerves (has to be both) impacting both sides of the face, and restricting eye movement. I checked and this girls blinks as well as having lateral eye movement.
Kind of on the same train of thought, I asked Emma's speech therapist today how she thinks she will do. Some of Emma's speech sounds like she has a cleft palate, other words are clear as day. Brooke said that just as she has with her existing vocabulary, she will likely learn to compensate and words will become clearer with practice. As she gets older she should also have more control.
That said, kids here often start pre-school between 3-5 and then kindergarten at 5 or 6. Emma would love school and she has such a long attention span for her age I think she'd do great. I would definitely consider putting her in pre-school at 3 years but we'll have to see - it ain't cheap!!
No comments:
Post a Comment