Sunday, January 10, 2010

Revelation

I'm going to share a few thoughts that have come to me today. I'm not sure how interesting or relevant they might be, so I'll leave it at your discretion to read them!!

One of my biggest spiritual struggles with God has been the issue of surrender. We are conditioned from an early age to see surrender as giving up or a sign of weakness. Waving the white flag to avoid getting completely destroyed! I do understand that when the Bible speaks of surrender it is NOT in this context!

Godly surrender is actually a sign of wisdom. It's effectively saying "I realize I'm going to lose the fight of controlling my life and even knowing what's best for myself." Why is that wise? If you don't already know, you can't control your life!! (Most of us have a tough time even controlling our own mouths! Yes, I mean me!) And you may want what is best for yourself but that is not the same as knowing what that is!

By making this surrender to God you further acknowledge that He is in control of all things (whether he chooses to exercise change or not) and that not only does he know what's best for my life, but that he wants me to have what is best for me.

That said, I know I have not surrendered all to God. How? Well, because I still struggle with the same issues time and time again. I'm not for sure what I still need to surrender - I feel like my time is his, I'm getting better at making my finances available to him, I give my family to him etc.

This evening as I read an article in the church magazine (The Pentecostal Envangel if you can get it) I realized there is a huge area I have not surrendered, and I'm not sure where to start. (I bet Judy could help me with this!) What is it? My dreams.

Deep down my dreams for my future really center around a calm, safe, predictable family environment! Healthy, functional children. A loving, hard-working husband (check!!). A clean, aesthetically-pleasing home. A well-balanced schedule of family time, church service, friends and personal pursuits. I won't bore you with any more detail - on paper it looks boring enough already!!

There's nothing "wrong" with that dream except that the key word - safe - prevents me from really seeking what is best for me. Safety is great, but if we are never challenged, stretched, pushed or failing, how can we really grow as individuals. And certainly, how would our faith grow.

I want to dream of really experiencing the potential God put inside me for his purpose. And that could involve a little more personal change and risk than I'm comfortable with - now!

I am not about to start thrill-seeking or living dangerously, per se. However I understand that if I want to fully experience the extent of what God can use me for, and what is best for me (painful though it may be) I have got to stop clinging to the safety of predictability. Using the camouflage of suburbia to avoid the dangers of truly living a Christ-centered life.

Phew! That's a biggie. I have no idea how to do that!!

Something else that came up in a different article pertained to Emma. The latest issue with her ear infections and the possible impact on her already delayed speech has been particularly tough for me. Communication is so crucial. She is limited in her non-verbal communication, so potential risks for her hearing and speech are alarming.

But to quote this article, "The Bible talks about the speech challenges of one of history's most successful leaders." Moses.

If you don't know you're Bible, especially the old testament, this may surprise you. A man who literally lead a nation of people, by foot, through the dry river bed of a huge river, from slavery to freedom. A man who saw a burning bush and talked directly with God, out loud. A man who argued with God, disagreed that it was best for him to be the leader God had ordained him to be.

Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." Exodus 4:10

But this excuse was pointless. You see God had a purpose for Moses, it was why he was spared when all the males of Israel were slaughtered. And he knew that Moses would have a speech impediment. (If anything that was a good reason why Moses would be humble before God!)

Moses so resisted God's command because of this that God allowed Moses to use his brother Aaron as a mouthpiece when he communicated god's will to Israel. That blows my mind - God accommodated Moses insecurity because it was Moses he wanted to use!

My point? God has a purpose for Emma (and each of us), and that is not affected by our disabilities or shortcomings. If anything, they may be an intrinsic part of our qualifications!!

If you still see your significance only in the roles you play for those around you (parent, sibling, child, coworker) you are missing out on your TRUE significance. God has a purpose for you that will have eternal impact in the lives of others far beyond your current sphere of influence. Ask him to show you what it is - and then pray for the courage to follow the call.

No comments: