When we were hit with the worst storms of the millenium (!!) last week many homes in our viewing region were without power for several days. I suppose, in an attempt to preempt more problems the power company scheduled tree-trimming in our neighborhood for today. A letter came a week ago saying we might experience a power cut between 8.30 and 10.30am.
I forgot until the TV went off at 9.45am!! The house was a balmy 70 degrees and Melissa was scheduled to come at 11am for therapy, so I opted to stay home. The phone message said power should be back by noon.
I bundled the kids up and added a layer or two myself and tried to keep busy in our powerless home!
It wasn't and as we hit 64 degrees I got a little concerned and called the power company. They gave me 2.30pm as the new deadline. Still coping I decided to hang on. The power came back at 12.30pm.
Not having experienced a power outage in some time there was surprisingly more inconvenience than I expected. Check out some things requiring electricity I had not previously acknowledged I'd miss...
Breast pump needed for feeding and comfort - more often with mastitis!
Stove needed to cook breakfast since cereal was all gone!
Microwave needed for baby food and other breakfast options
Internet needed for entertainment when TV out
Cell phone charger needed to keep only means of communication to outside world
Baby monitors as it turned out, not needed in house with no noise making electrical appliances!
Anyway, far from being the major inconvenience it could have been I actually am thankful for it. I realized that I have been spoilt with keeping the house warm enough for short sleeves when it's barely above freezing outside (my Grandad would have a fit if he knew!!) Therefore I have now set our thermostat to be 2-4 degrees colder than I have previously had it, and I will wear a sweater and slipper-socks inside. Scott will likely be thrilled but the nurses will have to have an extra blanket!!
And hopefully it will positively impact our energy bill!!
Blissfully unaware, Emma was actually pleased to be allowed to wear her shoes in the house, though refused to keep the sweatshirt on!
When Melissa arrived with Harley things just got more exciting!!
(She's "Shh-ing" the dog who was caged in the kitchen!)
Changing subject, I'm feeling much better. I got lots of rest on Monday and am doing all the things recommended to heal mastitis.
2 comments:
I would love to see you camping! LOL! :-D
We keep our thermostat on 67, and that's pretty comfy with a sweatshirt and slippers. Plus, our heat bill is much better! We used to not turn our heat on at all...when we lived in the apartment it was sometimes in the 50's when we got up in the morning. LOL! Not anymore with the kiddos!
oh my goodness. Emma "shhh-ing" the dog was the cutest thing! i laughed. HARD! ;)
Post a Comment