Friday, March 5, 2010

Dreams come true

Be careful what you wish for, that's what they say right! I remember some months ago wishing that Emma would be more self-confident around other kids and assert herself. She's so gentle and pretty quiet around large groups, I didn't want her to be pushed around or left out.

Today she showed me that she's arrived! We went to the library toddler group again today, as we did on Tuesday. On Tuesday there were about 30 kids so Emma was a little shy and stayed pretty close by. Plus they did some new songs that we didn't know the moves too. On Friday though there was half the number of people so it was really nice and there was lots of room.

Today Scott was planning to come with us, but was offered work at the last minute, which is great. So I took the kids alone as usual, rushing to try and get a space close to the building! We got one, so I didn't have to get Emma out in the lingering snow.

As soon as the doors opened to the toddler room we were in there, going for a spot by the rug! I was sat against the wall with Toby and Emma sat in the middle of the large rug, where other kids soon joined her.

Normally quick to get out of the way of other kids I soon observed Emma push a little boy off the number 8 as she wanted to step on each of the numbers in turn!!

Later, she called my name and when I looked at her she was wagging her index finger at me in the "come here" fashion I often use on her. The mom next to me thought that was hilarious!

For the songs that require "wiggling" Emma is a pro. She often just sticks her butt out to one side, pauses and does it to the other side! I recently looked back at a video from when she was just one year old and she was shaking her booty even before she could walk! The mom on one side of me said "Go girl!" It's too funny.

A few of the songs end in the instruction to sit down, so the kids will sit for the next book. Emma was doing all the motions, singing along, checking the other kids were sitting, then carried on walking!!

I'm not sure what was more distracting, Emma dancing around while everyone else was sitting, or me hissing "Emma - sit down" through gritted teeth! In truth though, I found it really funny, just because I know how awesome it is that she has found this confidence. I'm not sure what the other moms thought!

During play time she joined in with other kids playing, not worrying about me and Toby at all. It was nice to see her having so much fun. In the meantime I got chatting to a couple moms who gave me some tips on other places we can go in the spring.

Scott kindly pointed out that she gets this independence from me. I think he was being kind not saying stubborn or willful!! Either way we'll have to work on keeping it channeled in the right direction.

No comments: