Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I was dreading yesterday. In a fit of insanity I scheduled a doctors appointment for both kids together. no big deal, right? Wrong! Both of them were getting vaccinated.

I got up early and took a shower to help me be most alert! Then we left the house early to stop by BJs to buy diapers. (I tried a cheaper store brand, but I could never tell if they were wet, so I used more than when we buy the more expensive Pampers! I'm back on Pampers now.)

When we got to the doctors office the sun was shining and it was already warm. I put Toby in the stroller and Emma walked alongside. For the 100 feet we had to walk to the building I must have heard "Look Mummy" about 5 times! What were we looking at? A car, Emma's shadow (thanks Tigger & Pooh!) and a bench! And I'll never tire of hearing it!

Once inside Emma's demeanor changed and she clammed up a bit, even when we saw Aunt Julie. Funny really considering she's never actually had treatment in this office, so there should be no apprehension.

In the exam room Emma was doing great until the doctor came in. She got really clingy, wouldn't talk and refused to sit by herself. He started by looking in her ears (the other one has fluid now!) and using the stethescope, both familiar and fine with Emma. She relaxed.

Then I ran through her medical history with him, which he already knew mostly from Julie, sparing me going into too much detail! Increasingly I am self-conscious discussing all of it in front of Emma. Her medical diagnosis is discussed so much I am afraid she will start to be affected by what we say. I'd hate for her to define herself by these conditions. I also try not to say anything about it when we meet new people.

After the exam the Dr. asked Emma to walk backwards, draw and a couple other things. He'd already asked me if she could do them, but I guess he didn't want to take my word for it! I actually think that's great because as parents we can often over-state our kids abilities!

Then he left, and Julie came to take Emma out. I decided Toby should get shots first since he calms easier with a bottle of milk! The two nurses came in and simultaneously put a shot in each leg. I scooped him right up and held him. The nurse started talking to him and he started to smile and laugh!! He must've cried for about 20 seconds!!

Then Julie came and took Toby, leaving me with a suspicious Emma. When I handed her her pacifier she knew something was up. She pleaded not to have the shots, but of course she got them. I quickly scooped her up to comfort her. She cried for a couple of minutes, but calmed down much easier than before. That said, she did not want to be put down until we left the office!

Definitely not the nightmare I'd envisioned. Thanks to Julie!

Emma fell asleep on the way home (pacifier in the car does it every time!), so I put her right to bed when we got home at 11.30am! When Scott got home at 4pm we took the kids to the playground for an hour. It was 60f yesterday and perfect to get out for a little while.

Toby couldn't take all the excitement!

The early nap and fresh air meant both kids were in bed by 7.30pm. This is perfect as the clocks spring forward on Sunday - I'm transitioning them by moving bedtimes up a half hour each time this week and another half hour next week.



On another note, we are scheduling a sleep study for April. This will see if Emma still needs the CPAP at all. This came about because I asked them to lower the air pressure she gets as it wakes her up and is very high. No sleep apnea would transform all our lives. Emma would likely need no monitoring at all when she sleeps, allowing her sleep anywhere at anytime. We could travel without machinery and best of all - no nurses!! I'll try not to get to excited!!

Mini-mum on Monday evening




1 comment:

Christina Schoenrock said...

Pampers are great, Pics are greater! Next time you can take my three to get shots all at once (it will save me from hearing the screaming) and there is no "family nurse" to take them out to spare the pain of the others. My family at the doctors could be made into a comedy!!!