Friday, April 16, 2010

Nice rice

As I mentioned earlier, Scott has not been well for a couple of days (NTAF - Christina!!) and this afternoon we cooked up some rice for him in an effort to settle his stomach. We use Basmati rice, which is nice and fluffy, so I decided to try it on Emma!! After all, she did so well with the macaroni!!

I mixed a few spoonfuls in with the baby food I made her for dinner (after she had again requested to eat!!?). It did not phase her at all and I could see and hear her chewing the rice.

I feel like we have been witnessed something amazing today. It's like our work of the past few weeks on encouraging her not to gag, but chew and swallow have finally clicked. Our prayers are being answered before our very eyes, and before anyone expected!

Later on in the evening, Scott got up and sat with us before Emma went to bed. She was in a very playful mood. I was indulging in the chocolate I received from my parents in the mail (thank you!! I wasn't supposed to save it until my birthday was I?!!) and Emma saw and wanted in!

Let me just say, unashamedly, I do not feel the need to share the chocolate I get from back home! It is not often and as something I miss a lot, I reserve the right to eat it all! I do share a little with Scott, so it's a shame he is on the BRAT diet!!! (Tee hee!!) Lucky for Emma we had some chocolate that my folks had sent over for Emma at Easter.

I had put the chocolate away, not really expecting her to ever eat it since she has only taken nibbles and then gives it back. Not anymore! No sooner had she sat down it was gone. We looked around on the floor, the usual place food goes, but it was not there. And then she asked for another!! It too went quickly, mostly - some was smeared on her shirt and hands!!

I'm not sure if the whole "sugar high" thing is scientifically proven, but this was what happened after the chocolate...


And it gets better - I made Scott more rice, plain and dry. Emma started hovering like the food vulture she has always been. After initially refusing some she proceeded to pick up the rice with her hands and eat it! Take my word for it - this is HUGE!!! Sticky, plain rice, no problem.

Well, not strictly true - I had to stop her from picking up the grains she dropped on the floor and putting them in her mouth! It's not a habit I would be able to handle if we were out somewhere. Unfortunately I did not specify body parts so she started to eat the grains of rice that had stuck to her feet.

I am not sure how to express the feeling I had after I brushed her teeth and put Emma to bed. As I prayed with her, Emma put her arm around my neck to hug me. She's also started signing "friend" and then hugging me during the day. It's more than the bittersweet of your baby girl growing up - there's the super sweet of knowing that my baby girl is catching up. I truly believe there is something so special inside of this little girl.

No comments: