Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mothers Day

Women are innately mothering, whether they have bore children or not. We mother our friends, husbands, siblings, coworkers and friends kids. Whether they want it or not! To all of the women reading this today - Happy Mothers Day.

I had a great day today. I didn't wake up until 7am, when I got up to pump, a little later than usual. While I was sitting quietly in the living room I could hear Toby playing in his crib. scott was still sleeping, until Emma woke up and shouted "DADDY DADDY!" Scott called back - "Coming Em."

When I walked back upstairs Emma was heading to our room and I met her on the landing. Scott had taught her to sign "Happy Mother Day!" Then both kids came back to bed with me for a cuddle. After about 45 minutes I was ready to go back to sleep so Scott took them both downstairs!

I was awoken at 9.15am when the kids and Scott brought me my cards and woke me for church. I took a leisurely shower and got ready just in time for my breakfast - white chocolate-chip pancakes with vanilla ice-cream and hot syrup!


We headed out to church at 10.30am, the latest ever! (We recently started having two services at 9.30 and 11am, instead of one at 10am.) Most often I am in the soundbooth during church services, Emma in the nursery and Scott holds Toby. Today I felt like it was a good time to let Toby go into the nursery for the first time, just an hour.

The service was great, another awesome message about living life without giving in to fear - I'll share more later. And as you might expect the kids were fine. At least I assumed so because I couldn't find them or Scott after he went to collect them!

Turns out Scott had taken them straight to the car because Emma was having a meltdown. She'd been having such a great time in the nursery - sitting in the baby swing! - that she'd flipped out when Scott took her out.

We came home and put Emma right to bed and she fell asleep right away. Toby also napped, allowing us to enjoy lunch and the Phillies!

After lunch we headed over to Christina and Jeremy's to join their family BBQ. Then we went to our adopted family, the Thompson's, for more BBQ! While there Emma was treated to a fancy new hairdo from Nichole...
Both kids have been dealing with runny noses for a week or so, and Toby has had a little cough. We are chalking it up to seasonal allergies as most people are suffering but this weekend Toby has been progressively getting worse. Today he started gagging when he coughed a few times and coughed up some phlegm.

Before bed we gave him saline breathing treatment on the nebulizer and put the humidifier on, but it isn't helping. He's still a happy chap, but does not want to go to bed! We'll have to figure something out.

I changed two diapers all day, handles a couple of feeds, but for the most part my interaction with the kids was just hugs, kisses and loving. And so it ends, a great day with a strong reminder that a mother's love is more important than how much she gets done in a day.

No comments: