Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Progress

Not only have I not had time to post pictures, but it seems I had no time to take any!! Well, sick kids aren't the most cooperative!!

I made an effort today though. Toby was up early (after a bottle in the night too - he seems a little under the weather!), and so was Emma. Here they both are with Dorothy, Emma's primary nurse...

With temperatures expected to reach 90f I knew it would be a long day inside, so I got the kids ready and we headed to the park - at 7am!!It was already warm, but cool enough to wear pant and shoes - grassy park means bug bites!!

I took the camera in an effort to get some pictures of Toby's first real park trip - he went on the swing and loved it!!


After about 20 minutes and a stint on the see-saw, we walked the long way home for some added exercise and in for breakfast. I've taken the kids for walks a few times recently as it gives Emma time outside and I get exercise with no bug bites!

Mid-morning Brooke (speech/feeding) came for therapy. I had Emma in her high-chair with some syrupy pancakes, banana and sweet potato. We've been adding in more "real" food for her, and encouraging her to use a fork for feeding herself. It's been going well, but today we had a big fight and it ended in tears. (Hers, not mine this time!)

Before Brooke left Melissa (occupational therapy) arrived for therapy. Melissa normally comes on Tuesday afternoon, but since it was 11am on Wednesday we previously arranged for her to bring lunch (mmm, Chick-Fil-A) for us and a milkshake for Emma.

After the previous session I wasn't sure Emma would want to interact with anyone, let alone eat. So of course, she was only too happy to see Melissa and wanted to eat whatever I was eating, which was a chicken strips salad.

I told Emma there was nothing for her to eat, so she went to Melissa's salad. Brooke and Melissa gave Emma a piece of breaded chicken breast, and to all of our amazement she put it in her mouth, bit it and chewed the chicken - all without choking.

By the time Melissa left, Emma had eaten most of the large piece she was given originally and was feeding herself smaller pieces Melissa broke up, using an adult plastic fork! What's more, she could not get enough. When we were done eating she continued to eat from my salad - carrot and lettuce!! Then found a whole piece of chicken and started on that.

I'm not sure I can full convey how exciting and amazing this is. Six months ago Emma would suck the salt of a pretzel as "eating" solid food! Not only that but she can't bite food with her front teeth - her lower jaw is much smaller and set back, so she has to bite food with her side and back teeth. She's learned to feed herself that way and to chew she will push food over to the side with her finger when her tongue can't move it.

I seriously doubted she would be able to eat something like chicken, and never did I think it would be so soon. I'm ashamed that I even once doubted my girl. One thing is clear, when Emma wants something, she will not let physiology hold her back! She learns to adapt, quickly.

Her speech is also unbelievable. Most words are recognizable to anyone, not just us. She is using 3+ words in sentences, and some pretty grown-up phrases too. A great one that she said this afternoon was "I need to see Daddy!"

Did I mention that Emma does not want to keep her clothes on?!!

No comments: