Potty training is probably the hardest part of parenting a toddler, for a perfectionist. So much grace, patience and patience is required! Not to mention patience and grace.
For some reason (probably the looming 3rd birthday and crazy money) I decided to give potty training a go at 4pm this afternoon, after her nap. I sat her on the potty every 15 minutes, assuming she'd pee at some point. She did, at 5.10PM, on the floor in front of the TV. No diaper.
I almost lost it, but remembered who she is and what we're doing!! Not quite the loving encouragement to lose it on her the first time. It seems I may not have disguised my feelings well, because both times she peed after that it was in the pull-up I put on her. When asked why she didn't tell me she needed to be she said "because I peed on the floor."
I figured that persistence was the key and have kept going with the 15 minute thing, but already feel overwhelmed (Toby cries every time we go into the kitchen and he's shut out!) and want to quit. Emma tells me she does not want to use the potty because she likes her Dora diapers!
I think I may need more grace and patience with myself.
I hate dealing with this because I get so frustrated, unreasonably so. We otherwise had a great day.
We headed to the Intermediate Unit for an additional evaluation for therapy - feeding this time. I brought a plethora of snacks with me and had Emma skip breakfast so she'd be hungry.
Of course she did not want to eat when we got there! We read a book and she agreed to a bite here and there, enough to show the therapist her oral motor capabilities. Her evaluation is based on Emma being able to function independently in a school environment. She will likely qualify for around 15 minutes a month!!
Based on what the therapist said to me, I'm not sure what more they can suggest. She eats anything, and fatigues after a while so there's not much else I can do there. she did say to keep meal times to 30 minutes, but of course I'm also trying to balance calories with progress so it's a fine line.
As for drinking, not sure really what they can help with, I guess we'll have to wait and see. When I see Toby swigging down any drink he can find, I wonder if we'll ever get there with Emma. 50% of the times she swigs it is prompted and because she refuses an open cup, the amount is really tiny.
It could come down to prompting her to drink constantly, but I'm wondering how long it would take her to drink 1000ml if each swig is 1ml or less. We are already doing tube feeds of water or formula 7 times during the day. (And that makes potty training all the more interesting!!)

Just writing this I feel my blood pressure rising. I know we are not moving backwards, but I had allowed myself to think things would continue to get easier with time.
LOL, I just realized it's like the stock market!! (I spoke to someone about my 401K this week!!) It goes up and down throughout the year, but over the course of several years you should see positive growth. I'm all in!!
For some reason (probably the looming 3rd birthday and crazy money) I decided to give potty training a go at 4pm this afternoon, after her nap. I sat her on the potty every 15 minutes, assuming she'd pee at some point. She did, at 5.10PM, on the floor in front of the TV. No diaper.
I almost lost it, but remembered who she is and what we're doing!! Not quite the loving encouragement to lose it on her the first time. It seems I may not have disguised my feelings well, because both times she peed after that it was in the pull-up I put on her. When asked why she didn't tell me she needed to be she said "because I peed on the floor."
I figured that persistence was the key and have kept going with the 15 minute thing, but already feel overwhelmed (Toby cries every time we go into the kitchen and he's shut out!) and want to quit. Emma tells me she does not want to use the potty because she likes her Dora diapers!
I think I may need more grace and patience with myself.
I hate dealing with this because I get so frustrated, unreasonably so. We otherwise had a great day.
We headed to the Intermediate Unit for an additional evaluation for therapy - feeding this time. I brought a plethora of snacks with me and had Emma skip breakfast so she'd be hungry.
Of course she did not want to eat when we got there! We read a book and she agreed to a bite here and there, enough to show the therapist her oral motor capabilities. Her evaluation is based on Emma being able to function independently in a school environment. She will likely qualify for around 15 minutes a month!!
Based on what the therapist said to me, I'm not sure what more they can suggest. She eats anything, and fatigues after a while so there's not much else I can do there. she did say to keep meal times to 30 minutes, but of course I'm also trying to balance calories with progress so it's a fine line.
As for drinking, not sure really what they can help with, I guess we'll have to wait and see. When I see Toby swigging down any drink he can find, I wonder if we'll ever get there with Emma. 50% of the times she swigs it is prompted and because she refuses an open cup, the amount is really tiny.
It could come down to prompting her to drink constantly, but I'm wondering how long it would take her to drink 1000ml if each swig is 1ml or less. We are already doing tube feeds of water or formula 7 times during the day. (And that makes potty training all the more interesting!!)

Just writing this I feel my blood pressure rising. I know we are not moving backwards, but I had allowed myself to think things would continue to get easier with time.
LOL, I just realized it's like the stock market!! (I spoke to someone about my 401K this week!!) It goes up and down throughout the year, but over the course of several years you should see positive growth. I'm all in!!
2 comments:
May I suggest some Dora big girl underwear as incentive. They must make it.
Margaret
I like your thinking Margaret!! But yes, they do have Dora underwear, and she was wearing them during the first accident!! Then the Dora pull-ups - same deal.
We even have a Dora potty!!
Post a Comment