Sunday, November 14, 2010

Birthday girl

It's been a long three years, as any parent will tell you! So much happens in the first three years of a childs life. And Emma has been no exception - but exceptional!!

Three years ago [yesterday] I gave birth to my little princess, with no idea what lay ahead, or how much love I was capable of.

In fact the first three months were so incredibly eventful that it makes the rest of Emma's life look like slow motion! But looking back it has gone so fast, maybe too fast.

My focus has been on Emma's health and overcoming the challenges that she has faced. As intentional as I have been about that, I also made it my mission to savour and capture the precious moments of joy and excitement that came as rapidly as the challenges.


The Triumphs
Starting out with so many challenges you might forget that challenges can end in triumph, and who doesn't want triumphs!! I thought it would be interesting to take stock of them...

Gastroschisis - repaired! While Emma still struggles with constipation, her bowels are largely fully-functional.

Reflux - gone! The major cause of her apnic episodes, and treated with surgery, then medication, finally we see no signs of the problem that was.

Sleep apnea - resolved! The medical struggle with the longest outside intervention!

Developmental delay - removed. Therapy and Emma's own resilience have helped her to catch up with her peers in many ways. She still faces challenges to her independence that are exacerbated by her small stature, but we are confident she will overcome.

Feeding - improved. Emma is still on a feeding tube for 50% nutrition and 100% hydration, but that is only one-side of the story. One year ago Em would consume just a couple of tablespoons of pureed food at one sitting. Today she can eat many of the foods we all eat, and will eat a toddler portion - albeit a picky toddler!!

We've faced concerns about ear infections, hearing, flat feet and I'm sure other things. One thing is for sure, Emma has been healed in ways we couldn't have known, and has demonstrated grace, determination and aplomb (look it up!).

Since pictures say more than words, here's a look back at the past few years...






Precious one.


No comments: