Have you ever jumped onto a treadmill that's already in motion? Even though you know it's moving, it takes a split second for your brain to register how fast the ground is moving and adjust your leg speed accordingly.
That is how the past two weeks have felt for me.
Before the holidays, we were on full speed. With the trip coming fast we were doing everything possible to tie up any and all loose ends before we left, and preparing things for an easy return.
Unlike a break when you stay at home, and all the normal things get done at some point, we took a complete departure from our every day lives. Not only were we physically 3000+ miles away, but we also had limited connection electronically, barely using our phones or email.
When we returned things were pretty much as we expected with a few differences. Scott's work flow has started to dry up - not a huge surprise after 3+ months, but unpleasant nonetheless. On the flipside I was offered some freelance work, which I snapped up (thank you God!), but is likely very short term.
Other than that there are just the usual things happening, but while our friends and church family continued on full speed, we had to get back up to speed, and adjust once more to the pace of life as usual.
It's been a challenge, fitting work time on the computer around the kids, not least because I have not had to have such discipline in over 3 years!! But I am so thankful for the work, and I have to say I feel great and once more contributing to our income - that's probably a pride thing!!
That said, I have paused in my thoughts these past few weeks to look back, as I like to do at the start of a new year. Not to dwell, but to review, analyze and learn!
Looking at the posts from January 2010 there are a few things I notice right away:
That is how the past two weeks have felt for me.
Before the holidays, we were on full speed. With the trip coming fast we were doing everything possible to tie up any and all loose ends before we left, and preparing things for an easy return.
Unlike a break when you stay at home, and all the normal things get done at some point, we took a complete departure from our every day lives. Not only were we physically 3000+ miles away, but we also had limited connection electronically, barely using our phones or email.
When we returned things were pretty much as we expected with a few differences. Scott's work flow has started to dry up - not a huge surprise after 3+ months, but unpleasant nonetheless. On the flipside I was offered some freelance work, which I snapped up (thank you God!), but is likely very short term.
Other than that there are just the usual things happening, but while our friends and church family continued on full speed, we had to get back up to speed, and adjust once more to the pace of life as usual.
It's been a challenge, fitting work time on the computer around the kids, not least because I have not had to have such discipline in over 3 years!! But I am so thankful for the work, and I have to say I feel great and once more contributing to our income - that's probably a pride thing!!
That said, I have paused in my thoughts these past few weeks to look back, as I like to do at the start of a new year. Not to dwell, but to review, analyze and learn!
Looking at the posts from January 2010 there are a few things I notice right away:
- Emma ditched the binky in 2010
- Toby went from tummy-time to Trouble (capital T)!!
- I learned how to surrender to God, and reaped the blessings
- I lost the baby weight (and some) and gained some decent self-esteem (probably related, unfortunately!)
- I got real and shelved the "home-school" idea!
- Emma went from eating 4oz of fruit puree to scoffing a whole grilled ham and cheese sandwich and asking for yogurt after!!
- Scott is still working all the hours God sends, with humility, thankfulness and excellence. What a great example for our kids to have.
Looking ahead, the road is uncertain, covered with dense fog if you like metaphors! However, as when you drive in such conditions, we are simply working through what we can see and believing that the direction will continue to be revealed as we move along, slowly but surely.
No comments:
Post a Comment