We do! This was March 2009, when Emma was 16 months old. Guess who else is almost 16 months old and starting similar behavior of HIS own? That's right - Toby!! (But he's stronger and less inclined to fall asleep!)
In recent days and weeks, as the kids have been sick and we have been on a more unpredictable schedule Scott and I have been more inclined to sleep in. So when one or both the kids wakes up before we are ready, in to bed with us they come. Such a slippery slope!
Additionally, the kids want to stay up later and Emma has taken a shine to hanging out with us in the living room until she passes out with exhaustion. It seemed like a better option than hearing her cough continuously in her room.
So last night, as I stayed home with the 99% recovered kids (Scott went to our bible study - way to take one for the team!!) the bad patterns came to a head.
Toby, was put to bed around 7.30pm after several "If you climb those stairs you are going to bed"-type threats. He proceeded to cry, loudly. Emma was put to bed about 25 minutes later and was agreeable with the promise of a story and 4 songs!
At one point Emma bolted out of her room to the top of the stairs. When questioned she responded with "I miss you." Back to bed! I agreed to come back and see her "later" - the vague timescale that all parents appreciate, along with "soon" and "a minute".
After 50 minutes I lost my resolve with Toby and went and got him. In my defense I was feeling lousy, which I now know is because I was too scared to eat anything and my body was hurting! As I sat with him and tried to watch the episode of House I DVR-ed on Monday I hurt the most pitiful noise.
On Emma's monitor I heard a few whimpers, then a cry of "no, no" followed by crying. Already a broken shell of a mother I called out "Emma, you can come downstairs." Even I was impressed by instant turnaround in a clear and joyful "Now?" "Yes." And then she went a step further, as she ran to the stairs "I'm so happy!"
I hoped that when Scott returned he would take charge and fix it, but apparently he was not in the mood either and it was 10pm before Toby was put to bed (and once again cried), then Emma at 10.30pm, when we went to bed ourselves.
Emma passed out quickly, but not Toby. Scott brought him into our bed before the lights were even out - a new low for us!! But Toby was not settling down to sleep so he was put back in his room.
I don't quite remember the exact turn of events, but I know that he was in our bed when I woke up and he spent most of the night there, curled up against my back!
It's just so hard to hear the wailing and not know if he's actually sick or hurting (top molars pushing through as we speak)! So, it's going to be some tough love for the next few days. Starting with tonight. Both kids will get baths before bed, after a shorter afternoon nap. They are both healthy now, which is great. Eating normally and I'll introduce milk back in today.
To all the parents out there I say "Reclaim your bed!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment