Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Moving forward

This morning was a big deal for Emma. We had PT as usual, but I hoped it would be different. I met [alone] with her therapy team last week and especially asked them to push Emma harder. People have a tendency to let her set her own pace for things, when she can actually do more.

The prime example of this in PT is this little bridge with 3 steps leading up and down. The therapists walk Emma up holding her hand, letting her lead with her right foot each time and putting both feet on each step. At our last session I showed them that she does in fact know how to walk up as you and I would, one foot on each step. They had never asked.

Today they jumped right in and even I was surprised at what happened...




NO HANDS!!!

It really couldn't have come at a better time for me, as I was feeling really discouraged after a call from the school board last night.

Let me first say that the president of the school board, Scott's old coach Mr. B, has been going above and beyond on this, for us. I'm pretty sure he would not be the one making calls to a family in any other circumstances! That said he called us around 9pm last night after the board met.

It seems a couple of people are really nitpicking and pulled apart the wording on the evaluation Emma had in October for her transition to the intermediate unit. One of two problem statements infers that Emma requires more progress before she can play with her peers safely. It's just bad wording so her therapist will address it in her quarterly report next week and that will hopefully be enough.

The second statement relates to an evaluation from the hospital for feeding safety. This may not be resolved until her feeding assessment which is scheduled for April 27. Although Mr. B said he would call the hospital and try to pull some strings to get her in earlier!!

So, the saga continues! I did realize that it's a blessing that Emma has no idea about these complications. If only we could always keep it that way!

No comments: