Today's annual visit to the ophthalmologist at Children's hospital was made all the easier because in a recent episode Peppa Pig went to the optician (Pedro Pony told her she needed glasses because she couldn't see with her eyes closed! Sorry, was that TMI?!).
Just like her pink hero, Emma's eyes were just fine. She does have a mild astigmatism (as do I), but nothing requiring glasses. On the Moebius end of the scale, her eyes are doing awesome! Very little crossing of the eyes (which can require a serious surgery to correct) and no drying.
Today they put "the drops" in. I had never experienced these drops in the UK. At a lunch hour eye appointment in my early days here I was given these drops that dilate the pupil for hours. After returning to work (somehow) I was useless because everything was blurry and super bright!
The doctors were amazed at the ease of giving the drops to Emma, and doing all her other eye tests. Each time the doctor or attending left the room we heard "she's so cute!" Her doctor (the fully qualified one with his name on the wall) was really impressed with her verbal skills.
I am so proud of how well Emma is doing (proud of her, not myself), she displays such grace and perseverance. If I can't learn from her I just hope I don't spoil it!!
There was one really cool part of our trip today. In the bathroom before our appointment (sounds interesting already right?!) we met a mom with a cute little girl. I gave her my contact information and the blog address.
I hope she reads this (and the early posts) or calls because I think Emma's story could bring her hope. There are so few people who can really understand some of the challenges you face with a medically fragile child, emotional and physical.
Just like her pink hero, Emma's eyes were just fine. She does have a mild astigmatism (as do I), but nothing requiring glasses. On the Moebius end of the scale, her eyes are doing awesome! Very little crossing of the eyes (which can require a serious surgery to correct) and no drying.
Today they put "the drops" in. I had never experienced these drops in the UK. At a lunch hour eye appointment in my early days here I was given these drops that dilate the pupil for hours. After returning to work (somehow) I was useless because everything was blurry and super bright!
The doctors were amazed at the ease of giving the drops to Emma, and doing all her other eye tests. Each time the doctor or attending left the room we heard "she's so cute!" Her doctor (the fully qualified one with his name on the wall) was really impressed with her verbal skills.
I am so proud of how well Emma is doing (proud of her, not myself), she displays such grace and perseverance. If I can't learn from her I just hope I don't spoil it!!
There was one really cool part of our trip today. In the bathroom before our appointment (sounds interesting already right?!) we met a mom with a cute little girl. I gave her my contact information and the blog address.
I hope she reads this (and the early posts) or calls because I think Emma's story could bring her hope. There are so few people who can really understand some of the challenges you face with a medically fragile child, emotional and physical.
No comments:
Post a Comment