Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mother's Day

Twice a month I attend a bible study for "Moms of Young Children". It's at 10am, so it is mostly stay-home mothers or those with crazy work schedules (e.g. nurses). It was our 4th or 5th session today and as always we started with a little "ice-breaker."

Share your favorite family tradition/holiday, or a tradition you'd like to start.

As always I was completely honest, and while everyone else spoke of Christmas or Easter traditions that they have for their kids, or their parents did for them, I went in a different direction.

My favorite "holiday"? Mother's Day!! Why? Because I get breakfast in bed and whatever else I want to do that day. One day a year when Scott is not working and I can just enjoy my family without all the chores or "mom' tasks. Is that wrong?

I love Christmas, and I love the things we do with the kids, seeing their reactions to gifts etc, but to be honest, the "gift" holidays can be stressful, with choosing gifts, the money etc! We haven't developed any traditions, having had one Christmas in the UK, another waiting to fly there, one at the hospital and just one time actually planning to be home just us 4 - 2009!!

The Easter baskets and egg hunts are an American thing that I am not into. I don't begrudge anyone else, but I think it's weird how a bunny that delivers eggs has become such a distraction to the true (and only other) reason for Easter - the resurrection of Christ.

Anyway, I think it is the unexpected, spontaneous events in life that I love the most, like the other Saturday when we all spent the day together. Or going on vacation. Something that is just about our family and not the commercial or cultural ideal.

Maybe choosing Mother's Day because it's a great day for me (even over my birthday!) is selfish. I'm just being honest!!

No comments: