Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Quote of the Day

In the car, Emma asks for the picture she drew for Scott at therapy. I handed it to her (not for the first time - it's been in the car for weeks!) and she says...

"Wow Mommy, I did a great job drawing this picture for Daddy!"

She sure is a character. They both are. Today I made a big step as I took both kids by myself to the indoor playground. Slightly crazy since it is Spring Break and half price Tuesday! Not to mention two willful, energized kids.

As you can imagine there were tons of kids running around but we got there early and were able to stay for an hour. At first Emma headed off around the multi-storey playground as I coerced Toby to follow her.

Toby was pretty good, but considering how brave (or daring) he is on our stairs, I can't understand why he is so hesitant to climb around in there or go down the slides!

At one point, in the 3yrs and younger area he was sat at the top of the slide and refused to come down. Rather than climb around there myself I sent Emma up to push him down. That didn't work. When another mom was up there with her 2 year old she offered to push him and I accepted! He cried the whole way down - all 5ft!

At one point Emma made friends with a little boy a couple years older than her. When he told her his name it was a little awkward - he was called Parker, and of course when Emma repeated it back to him it came out "Narker." He kept trying to correct her, but she really does not seem to hear the difference.

Despite these instances, Emma is so understandable in her speech it blows my mind!

We headed to Chick Fil A for lunch with Ashley and Rafael. I don't get the kids meals because they don't have enough chicken and Emma doesn't drink juice or milk. I meant to bring our bottle of water in with us in case they wanted a drink (Toby had sucked down a Capri Sun in the car!), but forgot.

When Emma asked for a drink I had no choice but to give her some of my diet coke, from the straw like a dropper! Turns out she loved it and couldn't get enough. Could this be the key to increasing her drinking - the worst possible caffeinated beverage?!! I hope not, but maybe I'll try some other type of soda and see what happens.

No comments: