It's really quite hard to remember what I've told you and what I haven't! Thanks to you who send me the emails saying "what about...?" that both help me to remember, and let me know that someone still cares!! ;-)
Remember the pre-school saga? Back in February we applied to register Emma for pre-school in September. Two 2 1/2 hour afternoons a week with 11 other 3-4 year olds. Sounded so simple, but was just the opposite.
After much reassurance, explanation and patience we got the call that indeed Emma would be able to attend the chosen school in September. That was at the end of April and there were a few conditions!
The first was that I would remain at the school during the sessions for the first and maybe second day. This would have been my requirement if the school had not made it!!
The second was that we would review the situation after 2 and then 4 weeks, with the school. This is apparently "standard" - whatever!! I have no problem, in fact the more involved I can be, the better.
I didn't post the good news right away because they asked us to keep it confidential until the teachers had been told. And then I just forgot!
What else? We have made no progress in getting therapy specifically for feeding (or drinking as is the need). The therapist concerned was expecting the feeding assessment team to perform a second barium swallow study.
If you're not familiar - the child sits in a wooden high chair attached to an x-ray machine, in an x-ray room and is basically forced to eat or drink something laced with barium, which shows up in the continuous x-ray.
Emma went through this a couple years ago and Scott and Melissa were in the room with her. (I think I was pregnant at the time and waited outside.) By all accounts it was traumatic for all involved, but clearly revealed that eating and drinking posed no risk to Emma. Why we would need to do it again is a reason known only to the therapist.
You might sense my impatience on this issue, and I am at the point where, after 6 months of no help, I'm starting the therapy on my own! (Go me!!)
The past two days Emma has sipped 10ml of water from an open medicine cup! Sticking with the advice, I only request it once a day and reward her with a sticker. Unfortunately today she knew the sticker was one she'd been given at the doctors office months ago!! (I hide them when she puts them down!)
She's also drinking water from an open bottle, voluntarily.
Finally, I will be back to working 9-5 in an office - but only for a couple weeks! My company (I worked there 9 1/2 years, and nowhere else, so it will always be "my company!) asked me to temp while they look for a replacement for someone.
I am very excited to go back and be a full-time "Debra" for a while! I love my kids and I feel sure that I will not consider going back to work full-time until they are in school full-time. For all the whining and complaining I do, I don't want to miss a second of my kids growing up. It's been the only downside to my current excitement! Perhaps it will rejuvenate me in my role as stay-home mum!
The summer is approaching and promises to be a hot one!
Coming soon - the before and after pictures of our home reno "project"!
Remember the pre-school saga? Back in February we applied to register Emma for pre-school in September. Two 2 1/2 hour afternoons a week with 11 other 3-4 year olds. Sounded so simple, but was just the opposite.
After much reassurance, explanation and patience we got the call that indeed Emma would be able to attend the chosen school in September. That was at the end of April and there were a few conditions!
The first was that I would remain at the school during the sessions for the first and maybe second day. This would have been my requirement if the school had not made it!!
The second was that we would review the situation after 2 and then 4 weeks, with the school. This is apparently "standard" - whatever!! I have no problem, in fact the more involved I can be, the better.
I didn't post the good news right away because they asked us to keep it confidential until the teachers had been told. And then I just forgot!
What else? We have made no progress in getting therapy specifically for feeding (or drinking as is the need). The therapist concerned was expecting the feeding assessment team to perform a second barium swallow study.
If you're not familiar - the child sits in a wooden high chair attached to an x-ray machine, in an x-ray room and is basically forced to eat or drink something laced with barium, which shows up in the continuous x-ray.
Emma went through this a couple years ago and Scott and Melissa were in the room with her. (I think I was pregnant at the time and waited outside.) By all accounts it was traumatic for all involved, but clearly revealed that eating and drinking posed no risk to Emma. Why we would need to do it again is a reason known only to the therapist.
You might sense my impatience on this issue, and I am at the point where, after 6 months of no help, I'm starting the therapy on my own! (Go me!!)
The past two days Emma has sipped 10ml of water from an open medicine cup! Sticking with the advice, I only request it once a day and reward her with a sticker. Unfortunately today she knew the sticker was one she'd been given at the doctors office months ago!! (I hide them when she puts them down!)
She's also drinking water from an open bottle, voluntarily.
Finally, I will be back to working 9-5 in an office - but only for a couple weeks! My company (I worked there 9 1/2 years, and nowhere else, so it will always be "my company!) asked me to temp while they look for a replacement for someone.
I am very excited to go back and be a full-time "Debra" for a while! I love my kids and I feel sure that I will not consider going back to work full-time until they are in school full-time. For all the whining and complaining I do, I don't want to miss a second of my kids growing up. It's been the only downside to my current excitement! Perhaps it will rejuvenate me in my role as stay-home mum!
The summer is approaching and promises to be a hot one!
Coming soon - the before and after pictures of our home reno "project"!
1 comment:
wow!! thats all great news! soo excited for your opportunity to be going back to work...i bet you're pumped but probably a little uneasy at the same time...but heyy, you're awesome!! i had no idea that Christina and them had a dog!? soo sweet!! oh & Emma? in school? oh my gosh!!!! well, congrats on that too!! :D
Post a Comment