After 3+ years outside the "workplace" I can admit that I was less than sympathetic with people who complained about having too much to do on the weekend. (Hey - don't judge me, I'm coming clean!!) For me, Monday-Saturday the days pretty much run together, and Sunday is the busiest day of the week.
Until recently. After working 9-5 everyday last week (in addition to home-improvement insanity) I was looking forward to the weekend like none I can remember! By Wednesday!
Saturday was nice. We spent the day as a family, running errands that I would normally have done during the week. That might not sound fun, but when we don't have something specific to do, we lay around the house bored or all do our own little things to pass the time. Hitting "Target" or the supermarket is quite the adventure for a little kid - did I mention Emma is a champion on an escalator?!!
Sunday we did church, as usual. Can you sense a kind of dull monotony to my tone there? NO!! Because we love church!! Sure, sleeping in might sound good, but it never actually gives you the boost of energy you want, or a purpose for your time. Church does. Haven't tried it? Let me know and I'd love to bring you along!!
In the evening we were hanging out with friends. What started with a BBQ and sprinkler fun for kids, ended up with a rough game of kickball - Toby, Scott and little Jeremy all had bloody wounds and I hurt my foot! You know I don't particularly like to be outside - absolutely never on grass!! However, a good game with friends (on some man-made surface) is great fun!
Monday we had a barbecue with our church ministry team. Hectic preparation in the morning, but great time and totally worth it!
And today - back to work, tired and missing the kids!! I have a new found appreciation for the weekend and why many people are fiercely protective of it.
However, I also know that if work is not your life long passion or purpose, that the weekend is the time to pour yourself into something that does bring purpose to your life. Time is like money, in that you can refuse to spend it, however it does not keep and you can not save it.
No comments:
Post a Comment