Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Magic Number 5

I forgot when exactly I laid out my dream/challenge for God and the world to see, so I looked it up and it was July 6: http://ehmnews.blogspot.com/2011/07/milestone.html

I said "I have a dream. My dream was that Emma would be off the tube completely by Kindergarten. That's in two years. That's one of those "keep it real" dreams! My "way out there" dream is that she would be off the tube by the time she starts pre-school. That's in two months!!"

This was followed by the promise of scripture:
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Emma had gone from drinking maybe 5ml a day to 250ml most days, a leap forward nobody could have predicted. It was a shaky start from there on as we struggled to adapt our schedule from quick and easy tube feeds, to 25 minutes concentrated on drinking from a cup - the time it used to take us to administer a tube feed.

It was clear that to avoid regression, and make any progress we would need to bite the bullet and make the changes. And we have.

Over the past week Emma has drunk four of the five water boluses each and every day. The fifth contains prune juice, an excellent natural laxative - necessary because of the gastroschisis hangover.

However, today (mark the date on your calendar) Emma has not had any contact with a tube. Not only did she drink her 5 waters (and Sprite, her new favorite and the only thing except water she'll drink), but she also drank one cup of water containing Miralax, a dissolved powder laxative that we can use instead of prune juice. As for venting, Emma's been burping like anyone else, on occasion!

So, in summary, I don't plan on using that g-tube again.

Did I mention that school doesn't start for two weeks?!!!

"with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26)

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. (Phillipians 4:6)