Wednesday, August 31, 2011

School night

Today was supposed to be Emma's 6-month check-up at the dentist - postponed from July. However I ended up re-scheduling it again and taking her to the hospital. Let me explain...

Sunday night, before we came home to the newly restored power, we noticed that Emma had some bleeding in the inside corner of one eye. We called the doctor who said it looked (picture messaging rules!) like a [bruise] under the surface, but to call again if it got worse.

Monday morning it looked slightly worse so we called and he told us to take her to an eye doctor, just to be safe. I called the hospital where Emma sees the eye specialist. They said it sounded like a bruise, but would check it out if we felt it necessary.

I did, and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday since I already had the day off.

We went this morning and they confirmed that she did not scratch or cut her eye. She probably poked it a bit, not uncommon. Thankfully we were only there for about 45 minutes, probably the shortest visit there ever!

We came home, picked Toby up from Nanna's and headed home for lunch.

My anxiety built over the course of the afternoon as I prepared for the evening: The orientation and picnic at Emma's pre-school. (I forget if I announced that she was accepted into the school back in May, sorry! She got in, after many rounds of questions and concerns.)

We hadn't said much to Emma about starting school, but tonight she got to meet her teachers, spend some time in the classroom and get used to the idea of going to school. She seemed very comfortable.

During the opening talk backpacks were mentioned. Emma turned to me and said "Oh - I forgot my backpack! I'll bring it with me next time."

Emma's cubby

I spoke to her teachers about the first days (the very first being next Thursday) and any concerns. At this point we really aren't worried - Emma is drinking from regular cups (a little, but enough to fit in), eating well and was able to get on the potty by herself.

We have had to vent her several times in the past week, since stopping tube feeds. The gas builds up from gulping her water fast. ("Emma fast" that is - 25 minutes for a cup of water). Initially we were effectively bottle feeding her her water, but increasingly she is doing it herself.

I'm not as anxious about Emma starting school as I might have been if I wasn't already leaving her with Christina. I've had to deal with the letting go issues a bit already. That said, like any mum, I'm deeply hoping Emma will make good friends and have a postiive experience. I'm so glad I get to hang around the first few school days!!

No comments: