I don't think it is any one thing that leads me to conclude that life is moving faster than ever! Clearly the busier you are, the less time you seem to have for those moments of "I have nothing to do", but that's a good thing because too many of those moments lead to boredom!
Emma's doing great. Fully recovered from her face-to-floor- bump, and enjoying school. In fact, this week Pops took Emma on a day I was working, so it looks like we are good to go!
We did have to address something with the teachers this week - they give the kids cool stamps on their hands when it's someones birthday.
Both times Emma has expressed unhappiness after the fact, and even went so far as to say she did not want to return because of "stamps"! I told her to just tell the teachers she didn't want one, which she did (and they'd also worked it out!) so she's really proud of herself for communicating!
School seems to be having a positive impact on her therapy too, as she is better at following instructions and a longer attention span.
On Friday we went to IKEA to look for big girl beds! We realized that the kids want to be in our bed so much, not because they need closeness with us, but our pillow top mattress is much nicer than there firm crib mattresses!
We plan to buy Emma a full size single bed in the next few weeks "for her birthday". We'll put her bed in Toby's room and see if he can be trusted with the freedom! If he can, we'll have to get him one too, because the crib/toddler bed are also too small for both kids.
As for Toby, it's hard to believe that he turns 2 in less than 2 weeks. They say that having a boy and girl is a rich mans family, and I think it's a good saying. I love my kids so much, and the fact that they are so very different is awesome.
Yesterday Scott brought home a large remote controlled car, the kind with long antennae. Toby, being Toby, likes to chew on the end of the antenna, or just sit with the wire in his mouth. We have to keep confiscating it!
This afternoon, while we had a lot of friends over I was not paying as much attention to the kids. Emma, standing in front of me started waving her thumbs around like a hitchhiker. When I did the same back to her she said "nooo" and without turning her head pointed to her left. I turned and saw Toby with the antenna in his mouth!
It was hard not to laugh at how subtle she had been at telling on him. And how flagrant he is in response when you call his name and he grins at you, with the antenna hanging out of his mouth!
Toby is such a character and it's so great to see how much he loves Emma. When he won't eat a bite of food from us, he'll let Emma feed him or do something she tells him to do without question. Of course, she also intentionally gets him in trouble that way!
Toby is trying hard with his words, making more attempts at differing sounds. I suspect we have contributed to his lack of vocabulary by "understanding" his gestures and grunts and not requiring better articulation. I didn't realize how much you have to teach all kids to speak!!
For Toby's party we are staying small this year, inviting his favorite friends over for a car party - a couple hours of hotwheels and remote controlled cars racing around a furniture-less living room! We are even making it a girl-free zone, and we'll take Emma out for most of the time. Oh, and a cake of course!
Scott and I are doing well. We're incredibly busy, as I am working three days a week, getting home about 6pm, and he has quite a bit of overtime too. We are seeing this as a time of harvest, because you never know when there will be a time of "famine" in the workplace!
We have been much more intentional about family time, trying to make one night a week a time when we all go out together. It doesn't even have to be something expensive - last week it was IKEA, which is actually as much fun for the kids as a playground. At least it is when you let the kids jump on the mattresses and try out beds!! ;-)
October and November weekends are pretty much all booked up, so before I know it we'll be into December. This year is moving so fast I can't quite believe it. It's all been good though, maybe better than I ever imagined. Maybe one day soon I'll find a minute to sit back and reflect!
Emma's doing great. Fully recovered from her face-to-floor- bump, and enjoying school. In fact, this week Pops took Emma on a day I was working, so it looks like we are good to go!
We did have to address something with the teachers this week - they give the kids cool stamps on their hands when it's someones birthday.
Both times Emma has expressed unhappiness after the fact, and even went so far as to say she did not want to return because of "stamps"! I told her to just tell the teachers she didn't want one, which she did (and they'd also worked it out!) so she's really proud of herself for communicating!
School seems to be having a positive impact on her therapy too, as she is better at following instructions and a longer attention span.
On Friday we went to IKEA to look for big girl beds! We realized that the kids want to be in our bed so much, not because they need closeness with us, but our pillow top mattress is much nicer than there firm crib mattresses!
We plan to buy Emma a full size single bed in the next few weeks "for her birthday". We'll put her bed in Toby's room and see if he can be trusted with the freedom! If he can, we'll have to get him one too, because the crib/toddler bed are also too small for both kids.
As for Toby, it's hard to believe that he turns 2 in less than 2 weeks. They say that having a boy and girl is a rich mans family, and I think it's a good saying. I love my kids so much, and the fact that they are so very different is awesome.
Yesterday Scott brought home a large remote controlled car, the kind with long antennae. Toby, being Toby, likes to chew on the end of the antenna, or just sit with the wire in his mouth. We have to keep confiscating it!
This afternoon, while we had a lot of friends over I was not paying as much attention to the kids. Emma, standing in front of me started waving her thumbs around like a hitchhiker. When I did the same back to her she said "nooo" and without turning her head pointed to her left. I turned and saw Toby with the antenna in his mouth!
It was hard not to laugh at how subtle she had been at telling on him. And how flagrant he is in response when you call his name and he grins at you, with the antenna hanging out of his mouth!
Toby is such a character and it's so great to see how much he loves Emma. When he won't eat a bite of food from us, he'll let Emma feed him or do something she tells him to do without question. Of course, she also intentionally gets him in trouble that way!
Toby is trying hard with his words, making more attempts at differing sounds. I suspect we have contributed to his lack of vocabulary by "understanding" his gestures and grunts and not requiring better articulation. I didn't realize how much you have to teach all kids to speak!!
For Toby's party we are staying small this year, inviting his favorite friends over for a car party - a couple hours of hotwheels and remote controlled cars racing around a furniture-less living room! We are even making it a girl-free zone, and we'll take Emma out for most of the time. Oh, and a cake of course!
Scott and I are doing well. We're incredibly busy, as I am working three days a week, getting home about 6pm, and he has quite a bit of overtime too. We are seeing this as a time of harvest, because you never know when there will be a time of "famine" in the workplace!
We have been much more intentional about family time, trying to make one night a week a time when we all go out together. It doesn't even have to be something expensive - last week it was IKEA, which is actually as much fun for the kids as a playground. At least it is when you let the kids jump on the mattresses and try out beds!! ;-)
October and November weekends are pretty much all booked up, so before I know it we'll be into December. This year is moving so fast I can't quite believe it. It's all been good though, maybe better than I ever imagined. Maybe one day soon I'll find a minute to sit back and reflect!
No comments:
Post a Comment