I have been quite frazzled today.
On my days home (not "off" - never "off" with two kids!) I have tried to keep our activities to fun and not time restricted. Now that speech therapy is just once a month for a half hour, and Pops takes Emma to physical therapy, we really only have to watch the clock for school.
However, with all the busy-ness of the past few weeks, the house has suffered neglect, especially the fridge and pantry! So today I opted to hit the supermarkets with the kids in tow, for the first time in a long while.
The morning went well, if you don't mind exuberant kids who sometimes scream for no reason or like to run ahead of the cart in the supermarket.
At one point, at the checkout, I told Emma and Toby to stop doing something (it doesn't matter what), and the women ahead of me in the line said "you know they won't listen!" I laughed and replied that as long as I've told them to, I did my job!
We got home for lunch, which the kids ate happily. I also gave them a little diet coke - caffeine has it's uses! Then we dropped Emma at school and Toby came home for a nap.
What should have been a nice time to catch up, turned into anxiety with a text from Scott. He already told me yesterday that he has to work Saturday - Emma's birthday party. We worked it out so it would be fine, but today he learned it is at a job well over an hour away, which means he wouldn't be back until it was over.
I can host the party by myself, I just know that Emma wants him to be there. So that was really disappointing. I think we'll move it to 5pm (instead of 3pm) so he can be there. I just hope the little girls we invited can!
I got Toby up just in time to get to the school to collect Emma. Then we headed to another supermarket. This time it was different. Toby started to pitch a fit, to which I responded by putting him in the seat of the cart and strapping him in.
As I walked around, ignoring Toby and any stares, Toby ranged from hitting me to reaching out for me. After he cried it out for a while I picked him up and he rested his head quietly on my shoulder until we got to the checkout.
I put him down so he and Emma could play...

When we got home and settled in I opened Emma's school bag to take out her papers. I got a pleasant surprise - her first school picture. All the rest of the kids are sitting quietly, shy smiles on their faces, both feet on the floor. Not Emma...
I've blurred the other kids out - don't like to post other peoples kids without them knowing. But, can you see what I saw?
Quite simply, Emma has the biggest smile out of the whole class. That just made my day!
On my days home (not "off" - never "off" with two kids!) I have tried to keep our activities to fun and not time restricted. Now that speech therapy is just once a month for a half hour, and Pops takes Emma to physical therapy, we really only have to watch the clock for school.
However, with all the busy-ness of the past few weeks, the house has suffered neglect, especially the fridge and pantry! So today I opted to hit the supermarkets with the kids in tow, for the first time in a long while.
The morning went well, if you don't mind exuberant kids who sometimes scream for no reason or like to run ahead of the cart in the supermarket.
At one point, at the checkout, I told Emma and Toby to stop doing something (it doesn't matter what), and the women ahead of me in the line said "you know they won't listen!" I laughed and replied that as long as I've told them to, I did my job!
We got home for lunch, which the kids ate happily. I also gave them a little diet coke - caffeine has it's uses! Then we dropped Emma at school and Toby came home for a nap.
What should have been a nice time to catch up, turned into anxiety with a text from Scott. He already told me yesterday that he has to work Saturday - Emma's birthday party. We worked it out so it would be fine, but today he learned it is at a job well over an hour away, which means he wouldn't be back until it was over.
I can host the party by myself, I just know that Emma wants him to be there. So that was really disappointing. I think we'll move it to 5pm (instead of 3pm) so he can be there. I just hope the little girls we invited can!
I got Toby up just in time to get to the school to collect Emma. Then we headed to another supermarket. This time it was different. Toby started to pitch a fit, to which I responded by putting him in the seat of the cart and strapping him in.
As I walked around, ignoring Toby and any stares, Toby ranged from hitting me to reaching out for me. After he cried it out for a while I picked him up and he rested his head quietly on my shoulder until we got to the checkout.
I put him down so he and Emma could play...
When we got home and settled in I opened Emma's school bag to take out her papers. I got a pleasant surprise - her first school picture. All the rest of the kids are sitting quietly, shy smiles on their faces, both feet on the floor. Not Emma...
I've blurred the other kids out - don't like to post other peoples kids without them knowing. But, can you see what I saw?Quite simply, Emma has the biggest smile out of the whole class. That just made my day!
No comments:
Post a Comment