Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Tradition

Definition of TRADITION

1
a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom) 

Traditions can be good or bad, as with many things, it depends on your perspective.  America, for such a young country, is steeped in traditions.  

Our little family of four has yet to really develop any traditions for Christmas.  Emma's first was spent in the hospital.  Her second Christmas was spent in England.  Toby's first Christmas was at home and probably the calmest we've had.  Last year we were heading to England, but the weather threw us a curve ball and we had Christmas at home, with no tree!


This year we will be spending Christmas here and we are looking forward to both kids being able to appreciate every aspect.


Many people think I am incredibly organized and mostly I am (even when it's annoying!), but I have yet to successfully prepare for Christmas.  


I'm not talking about Christmas Day, that doesn't faze me at all.  No, I'm referring to the process that is gifts!  Selecting tokens of one's love for another to present to them at Christmas is a source of much anxiety for me.  I want it to be something that brings joy, not disappointment. 


I'm not sure if it is the (real or imagined) expectations of others, or the challenge of getting things purchased and delivered around the world in time.  Then last week, Scott was working all day and evening, so I have struggled to find time to even shop.  

Yesterday, after a week of work and managing the kids by myself (which should normally have been pretty straight forward) the pressure was too much and the kids being a little bit defiant broke me.  I put Toby in time out in his crib and sat on the sofa to sob!

An earlier text message to Scott prompted him to ask his parents to come and relieve me for a while!  Pops showed up after I had gotten the kids settled in front of a movie with some nuggets.  I took off to get some of the shopping done.  

I feel so ridiculous even getting stressed about it, I know full well that material gifts are not the purpose of Christmas, even when you can't be there in person.  It's a choice to stay focused on the reason for the celebration.  (Hint: it's not about you or me!)

Later on, when Scott was home we were able to bring some of the joy in celebrating Christmas, to the kids.  We decorated the house...(Grant helped out too!)








 




No comments: