As you can imagine, Friday night was quite the drama. Toby went to bed pretty easily, in the toddler bed we put in his room. (We left the crib in there for the night, to be sure it was no longer needed.)
At first he did not want to go to bed because Emma was still up and Grant arrived. After a brief visit from Grant I tried to get him to stay in bed, but after a while he would sneak out on to the landing.
Eventually he fell asleep.
Scott had previously agreed that he would be the one to respond to Toby on Friday and Saturday night, and I'm so glad he did! Friday night Toby woke up in the early hours and came out of his room. I'm not sure how many times he got up or how long he cried (close to 2 hours I think), but eventually he went back to sleep.
I forget exactly when he got up on Saturday morning, but it was reasonable. As Scott and I brushed our teeth in the bathroom we watched Toby, who wanted to go downstairs, with one hand, pull the [pressure closed] stair gate open without releasing the handle! He was not being naughty, as we'd never said not to open it - just like we never said to not climb out of his crib!
The crib and bed share the same footprint, but not having the height really made the room feel bigger. Toby even played up there for a while
Normally he only plays upstairs in Emma's, bigger, room.
Toby napped in his bed on Saturday afternoon without much ado.
On Saturday night things were much the same as the night before, and we still shut
the gate because Toby's door is facing the stairwell and at least he
wouldn't walk out half asleep and fall down the stairs!
Apparently the resistance was lesser that night and again Toby finished the night in his new bed.
On Sunday, he napped in there again, but sensing a pattern I was dreading my night shift on Sunday! I am a much lighter sleeper than Scott and was up with every little sound (including Emma wanting to get up at 4am!). However, Toby did not surface from his room until 5.30am, when Scott had gotten up for work! Of course I let him come and cuddle with me until I had to get up.
Emma's been doing much better since I told her to look at her digital clock and only get up when it says "6" or "15" depending on bedtime/naptime!

1 comment:
Well go you moving him to a big boy bed!
Post a Comment