Last night we took the kids to the indoor playground, and met some other friends there. When we got out of the car and saw our friends Emma said to me "Tell them I don't have a tube." I told her to do it but she refused. When they gave the appropriate congratulations she was happy!
It had been quite a while since we last went and I noticed Emma was a lot less confident and independent in the playground. I tried not to stay with her the whole time, but I'm not sure if she just wants time with me, or is lacking self confidence!
We got home a little before 9 but I still wanted to give them a bath. Toby got in first while I helped Emma. I wanted to take her dressings off to check it and wash the site in the bath. She flipped out, and I wavered before just taking off the tape.
There was even less discharge than the day before, hardly anything and the hole has definitely closed significantly. When I told Emma I was done taking the tape off she was really excited and did a little dance, singing that she had no tube.
She happily showed Scott and we had a happy bath time for all.
After bath I put a large Band Aid over the hole, just in case, and put her night gown on. Toby wanted a Band Aid too, so he also had one on his belly!
Emma went to bed and seemed happier than she has been lately.
This morning, as I helped the kids eat their breakfast, Emma said "I'm glad I don't have a tube any more, because I guess sometimes you just have to take a chance!" (That was word for word!)
As we read some books together she was rubbing her belly and I asked if it was itching. I took the Band Aid off to see and it was clean. However, it seems the DuoDerm the nurse put on had really irritated her skin, and she has a red bumpy rash around (but not on) the site. I just put some anti-itch cream on it and hopefully it will clear up soon.
I called the doctors and they said we can leave it exposed, but might want to put a Band Aid on it for a few days. They said it may also leak more before it closes fully, but I''m believing that it is healed.
One thing's for sure, Emma is handling the change much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment