Monday, February 27, 2012

Sky-diving

It was a pretty low-key weekend. Ballet for Emma on Saturday morning,
while Toby and Scott hung out at home. Then Scott went to work until
dinner time, when I went to church.

Sunday was relaxed too, I went to church at 8:15 am because I was
serving, and Scott brought the kids in around 9:30am. After church
the plan was lunch, then nap, then off to a friends birthday party.

The party had been a topic of laughter as it was the same house where
a few weeks ago Toby split his head open. We joked about him wearing
a helmet etc, not really expecting anything to happen again.

So when I brought the kids home after church (Scott stayed behind to
finish "ushering") it was the same process as any other day. Get them
out of the van, coral them up the steps and in the back door.

As he has many times before, Toby climbed up on to the iron bars that
act as a railing around the top of the steps. He does it so often I
guess I'd given up saying "be careful, you might fall."

And if I was a better/more vigilant/consistent/ (insert your choice of
word here) parent I would have made him get down and enter the house
before me. Well, I didn't. So one minute I can see him from the
corner of my eye where I stood in the kitchen, the next second he's
not there.

It took me a second or two to realize that he hadn't come inside
before I ran out the door (in my socks!) and around to the far side of
the steps where Toby was picking himself up off the dirt! I was
thankful he did that since I would not have known whether to move him
or not - seeing as he just fell head first (presumably, since his head
weighs a good 20lbs) at least 5 feet.

I brought him inside (where Emma was watching curiously from a safe
distance) and sat him on the counter to try and get a look at his
face. Sure enough it seemed as though his gums were bleeding a little
but after some water they were fine. No signs of any cuts, bruises or
trauma - he was ready for action again right away.

I had been warned about the block that my little chip came off
(Scott!), and how he was a daredevil as a kid and I don't think was
ever seriously hurt. So between us we have a dramatic talker and an
angel-faced dare-devil!! Our parents will be laughing for years to
come at the poetic justice of it all!

No comments: