Monday, April 9, 2012

Expert opinion

The other doctors have weighed in and here's what they've said:

There is an increased risk of airway obstruction with the sedation and muscle relaxation (for all kids) that is increased for kids with OSA. But, Emma doesn’t have OSA anymore to the best of our knowledge, so from that standpoint I would consider her “normal”, even though we all know she is “exceptional”.

("Exceptional" was his word, not mine!)

Also, her nutritionist said:
"Her growth is phenomenal!  Way to go Emma!"

Emma is now 39" tall and 36 lbs.  (Toby is catching up really fast, which is why people often ask me if they are twins.  I love telling them the age difference !!)

So, with that in mind, we are going to proceed with the surgery, unless there is a clear sign we should not.  The procedure is scheduled for the Friday before her ballet recital, but I am told it should only take a few minutes and recovery is swift.  We may even see an improvement in her balance and coordination because her inner ear will be working better.

As with so many things, hindsight is revealing so much to us.  Emma is definitely slow to hear us, but I think you just tend to over look the need to say a kids name 2 or 3 times before they hear you!!

Interestingly, in the past, the second or third repeat of what I want Emma to hear has had increased volume because my patience is diminished with each time.  It's sad for me to think that when she does hear me, it's with the slight edge to my voice that indicates annoyance.  Even when I am in a good mood or being loving initially, she misses that and catches it when it's faded.  I wish I could take back all the harsh tones and comments about her not being a good listener. 

When you think about it, so often we don't take care in how we say things each time, or even consider the tone of our voice in our communication.  (Yes, I'm assuming some of you do it too!)  Yet, I should know better than most how important it is because with Emma, the tone tells me things that her expression doesn't. 

I am actually seriously considering getting my own hearing checked.  It's no secret that I'm loud, so there may be an explanation that would help me to explain it to others.  I'm hesitant because if my hearing is fine, I'm just loud and I know it's abrasive sometimes - even if it comes in very handy in public speaking or helping to quiet a crowd at a party!

I guess my point is I didn't realize how quickly, or sub-consciously I was negatively reacting to being ignored (my perception of them not hearing).  I'm learning patience a little more now by considering that maybe our kids are not able to hear our instructions, and to give them the benefit of the doubt until I know otherwise. 

I remember my dear great grandmother, who was pretty hard of hearing in her old age.  Gran had a hearing-aid that would whistle the most painful high-pitched sound sometimes!  But, when we spoke to her, we knew we had to raise our voice a little, and if she didn't hear right away it was no big deal, it wasn't her fault.  I'm sure it was frustrating sometimes, but it was also funny too.   

I want to be patient and loving, in general, with other people, not because of who or what they are, but because of who I am [becoming].  I want to be respectful and merciful to others because that is my nature (one day!), not because I judge that they deserve it.

That is God's nature.  He loves us and is merciful toward us, not because of what we do, but because that is who HE is.  And as a Christ-follower I long to be like him, even though I have a long way to go.

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. 
Philippians 1:6

No comments: