For several weeks now Emma has been showing up in our bedroom around 3am each night claiming to have had bad dreams. (Except for nights she has been up all day and a late bedtime so she is zonked out!)
We've been debating whether this is legitimate or a ploy so snuggle with us for the evening. At the conference this weekend it certainly seemed to be likely that it's behavioral and she is repeating a pattern that works.
However, my perspective on the issue shifted last night.
Every night when I put Emma to bed (because it "has" to be me if I'm in the house!), I pray with her and sing a song (my kids are the only people in the world who appear to enjoy my singing, or at least tolerate it!!). Subsequently, when Emma prays herself she uses much of the same pattern I do, based on Jesus' instruction on how to pray (Matthew 6:9)
She often will, or ask me to pray for her to have good dreams.
Last night she prayed...
"Lord, thank you for my dreams.
Please can you give me happy dreams so I can trust you.
In Jesus' name, Amen"
Trusting God was the theme of VBS last week, and clearly in Emma's mind. I tried to explain that no matter what happens, we can trust God. Good or bad, the key is that God is with us and enables us to handle what we face.
When she came in to me at 2.30am she was upset at another bad dream. She snuggled up with me. Then she said:
"I prayed for good dreams, but I still had a bad dream."
:(
I know the scripture:
"Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more
will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
(Matthew 7:9-11 NIV)
So, if it's hard for me to understand why Emma still is having bad dreams (if indeed she is!), I can only imagine the confusion she feels. We tell her to pray, and she believes that means God will do as she asks.
This is something I think so many of us struggle with. We pray for or about something, but it stays the same or gets worse.
I always think back to Jesus, who, when he was faced with his imminent suffering, also prayed to His Heavenly Father:
“Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” Mark 14:36
And that's the key. Often we are not willing to accept that God's plan may not be the same as ours. If we do not get the answer we want to our prayers, quickly enough, in rebellious independence, we set about making the outcome we want ourselves.
However, Jesus shows us that, in trust and faith, we can surrender to God's plan, and in doing so receive the peace of knowing that we are in His hands or protection and provision. After all, most parents know that you can't keep your kids safe if they don't follow your instructions!
When she woke up this morning I spoke to Emma. I explained that even though she still had a bad dream, we can still trust God. Either the dreams will stop, in God's timing, or maybe he is teaching her to be brave through the dreams.
I don't know the answer, but trust is the reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of [God]. I choose to believe God's promises (and there are many times He has made good on those promises to me), and no matter what happens I will trust God.
No comments:
Post a Comment