Friday, September 21, 2012

Pre-Op

Well, today is the day!  We arrived at the hospital around 9:15am and Emma was full of energy and personality, as usual.

When Scott and I talked about today I told him my main concern would be the late start.  Emma likes to eat a big breakfast, but she was not allowed to eat after 11pm last night, and no fluids after 7am!!  My solution: promise the lunch of her choice when we get done. No surprise she picked Chick Fil A!

The other issue was that we had no time to get her a post-op toy!  She really wants a Chica (from Sprout) plush and has been saving her money to get one, but I didn't think I had time to get one.  So instead I opted to tell her we would go to the Disney Store after lunch and she could choose her own toy, or Jessie pajamas, which she has wanted for years!  

Both promises are working a treat in encouraging cooperation! Of course, she is hungry and thirsty, but she has an incredible ability to think long-term!

Right now we are chilling in pre-op...

We just had a visit from anesthesia who delivered the first (and hopefully only) surprise of the day.  They are going to intubate her for the surgery.  That means putting a tube down her throat.  The last time in May they just used gas, but this is a little longer and they want to be safe.

Since she was very little she has had the label "critical airway" which flagged her for breathing problems and requiring special equipment and extra personnel.  Today they are going to see if that's still the case, which it may be because she can't open her mouth very wide.

The impact will likely be sore throat, and may be longer recovery time, if not admission.  Only time will tell, so we are being patient!

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: