This is an extract from the blog of one of the missionary families Scott worked with in Ecuador. I encourage you to visit the link at the bottom to hear how this incredible, true story ended...
The Machete Incident - Pt. I
The Monday morning of September 19th started out fairly normal except
for the fact that it was our first day of doing homeschool with Sophia
& Zak. If you told me I’d be in the “dog house” by nightfall, I’d be
the first to say, “yah, I probably deserve that”! But a night in jail? –
that was definitely not on my radar! Here’s how it all unfolded:
After visiting our local clinic, a young Shuar man knocked on our
gate hoping I could help he and his wife get back to their village,
Untunkus Norte. She had given birth two weeks prior and was not ready
for the two hour trek up hill. For $5, a taxi truck can make it in about
20 minutes, so I called for one, we piled in and I put my bike in the
back for the downhill ride home. It was a perfect opportunity to visit
with several families who live there, most of them are related to Pastor
Eduardo who is an integral part of our ministry team. I enjoyed playing
with the kids, checked on Camilo’s new baby boy, shucked some of
Umberto’s corn, then had a delicious lunch of cow intestines, corn &
yucca prepared by Umberto’s wife, Georgina. We said goodbye then I
headed home down the mountain with one short side visit to a neighboring
village, San Jose Sur, to pray with a family whose father had just
died.
Between the two villages, I rode up on a teenage boy who took one look at me and started running. I didn’t get to say anything to him since he ran off so abruptly. I arrived at Carmela’s house a few minutes later and we had a great 30 minute visit as they shared stories of their father. As I chugged along the beautiful mountain road towards home, I was grinning ear to ear with joy, overwhelmed that I get to be here doing what I’m doing. This peace helped prepare me for what was waiting for me just over the next knoll.
A group of about 20 people gathered in the road/path about 50 yards
ahead, machetes are normal to see here, but this time was different. As I
approached, it quickly became obvious that I was the subject of their
interest. At first I thought they were just upset that I was in Shuar
territory so I quickly explained that I was there by invitation of
several Shuar who they also knew. That did not matter as it became
apparent that a deeper issue was at hand. The teen age boy had run home
telling his mother that I had threatened to cut off his head and that I
had offered money for heads. This is a line often used to stir up
trouble in the jungle because it plays on their long history of fear,
superstition, and murderous ways. The boy also had mental issues and I’m
sure the adults put him up to much of it. They forced him to stand face
to face with me and retell his story. When I heard the phrase, “this
Gringo tried to cut my head off”, I knew there was no explaining my way
out of it, they were bent on revenge. The boy’s mother was completely
wild in my face screaming, “cut off his head, cut off his ears, cut this
gringo”! They wanted to see my sword or knife. Miracle #1 – I always
carry a knife but did not this day. I called Ashley on my cell, which
happened to have signal (Wouldn’t that make for a great commercial?!) I
told her that some people were upset with me and that I needed to get a
number of a Shuar pastor who could explain to them who I was. While she
was giving me the number someone grabbed the phone as the situation
intensified. I never saw the phone again.
Visit richardsonmission.com for the rest of the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment