Things are a little different here (to say the least). In the UK, I never "graduated." Don't get me wrong, I finished "high school", but I never went to university, and if I recall correctly, that's the only time you get a graduation ceremony. (And no proms at all!)
Not so here, in fact there seems to be a graduation for almost every year. Today, Emma graduated from "pre-school". She completed two years of schooling, and next year will begin public schooling in kindergarten. (This is really different than the UK, where my niece who is the same age as Emma, has been in full day schooling since September!)
Of course, it's bitter sweet - my little girl will soon be too big to sit on my lap or get carried up to bed. But on the whole I have learned to enjoy the amazing accomplishments she makes and look forward to a bright future.
Just Wednesday I had a final parent-teacher conference with her pre-school teacher. (If you recall they were so nervous about taking Emma with her special needs.) She let me know how great a pleasure Emma had been to teach these past two years. She acknowledged their initial fears, but how much they were glad she came.
We discussed academics and she seemed to be hinting around something without wanting to say it. I called her out and she confirmed her suspicion that Emma might be "gifted" - special needs at the other end of the spectrum! She offered some advice on making sure she gets the approprate instruction to avoid boredom - when the other kids are getting help, she will pretend to struggle to get attention!
I also brought up the last report card comment about interrupting people. I explained we are pretty strict at working on that. Apparently they weren't - she said Emma is so funny and has such interesting things to say that they kind of let her get away with it!
Emma couldn't be anymore excited about kindergarten and thankfully did not seem to get the idea that she won't see most of her school friends again. (Very thankful that she has lots of church friends that are around all year long!)
So today, Toby and I went to the show for the end of school. It was great!
Ready for the show! The shirt was worn by all the kids.
Toby got some drawing in as we waited for the show to start. Good to see he has a good grasp of the pencil. Not OT required!
In come the kids...
After performing a few songs, the kids were handed their "diploma"!
Emma with her two teachers. She loves these guys!
Emma and her friend Abby. I've become good friends with Abby's mom, so we are planning to keep them in contact.
Toby wanted to take a picture!
Emma was allowed to pick a treat for graduating. I thought she would go for dinner out somewhere, but no, she wanted a toy! Then she said "and I want to pay for it with the money from my piggy bank!" Sure!! Not really, but it was cute that she wanted to use her money.
Off to Kohls, where we snagged a new princess doll we hadn't seen before.
Here's the superstar. I'm so proud of this girl, she's awesome.
Here's one of the songs Emma's class performed...
No comments:
Post a Comment