Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Transition

It seems like only a short time since we transitioned from in-home Early Intervention therapies to the Intermediate Unit for PT and OT.  But it was almost 3 years ago!

Today was Emma's last visit to the IU, having seen Miss Allie for her last Speech consultation on Friday

And today, we said goodbye to Miss Heather, after a fun session of PT

And so it is that in 4 weeks Emma enters the public school system, starting with 5 afternoons a week in Kindergarten.

I received a fat packet of paperwork to complete for her, and it told me her teachers name.  I threw it out to my friends and they said:
"Oh my goodness.  You're gonna love her.  She's awesome!!!!!!! And mrs. W her helper and sooo funny.  The kids love her  
Emma will love them too.  Especially mrs w."

And "No way!!!! Mrs B. is a christian! She's my friend on fb and was thrilled at my vbs posts"!! You will love her!!!!!!!!!  This is a God thing I know it!!!!!"

I couldn't agree more!  The US school system is a far cry from the UK system.  Here, specifically Christian faith is outlawed, separation of church and state to the extreme.  So to have someone who may share some of our core beliefs and values at the steering wheel for Emma's start at school is a HUGE relief!

After therapy this morning we stopped by Em's new school to check out the playground as they suggested at induction.  Turns out it was great timing because the principal was there.  She didn't appear until I told the receptionist that "this is Emma" and boom! there she was - "I want to meet Emma!"

She gave Emma a hug and some other chit chat aimed at connecting with Emma.  It was so encouraging.  Funnily Emma said at dinner "she was too nice!"

The kids had fun playing for an hour, they really do get along well.

Not to wish our summer away, but the countdown is on!  Thankfully Toby starts a week later, so Emma (and I) will be settled in her routine!

No comments: